How to tell if my laptop integrated graphics uses UMA or discrete memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunoMalone

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a replacement heatsink/fan assembly for my HP DV6-6117DX laptop as the ball bearing on my fan is dying. Using the service manual I've narrowed it down to one two parts:

• ■ 650848-001 (For use only with computer models equipped with an AMD A8, A6, or A4 processor and a graphics subsystem with discrete memory)
    ■ 650847-001 (For use only with computer models equipped with an AMD A8, A6, or A4 processor and a graphics subsystem with UMA memory)

I'm just not sure whether my laptop's integrated graphics uses discrete memory or UMA memory. The processor is an AMD Quad-Core A8-3500M with integrated AMD Radeon HD 6620G Discrete-Class Graphics. This is copied from the HP specs page. Does the "discrete-class graphics" imply that it uses discrete memory?

Thanks for any help!

-J

JunoMalone

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

That's probably my last resort...I'd rather not do that because then I'm without my laptop for 4-6 days as I wait for the part to arrive. I'd like to have the heatsink/fan assembly on hand for the tear down...stupid HP design, I have to remove the optical drive, hard drive, WLAN module, keyboard, top cover, and system board just to replace the heatsink/fan. There's got to be some way to find out which of the two parts is correct for my laptop...HP support was no help at all.

JunoMalone

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Speaking of Toshiba...

I found this link - it's the specs page for a Toshiba laptop that has the same CPU (AMD A8-3500M) and integrated graphics (AMD 6620G) as my HP DV6-6117DX. It mentions that the 6620G uses shared UMA memory, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that mine does as well and order the 650847-001 heatsink/fan part.

Status
Not open for further replies.