How to transfer Windows 8.1 from HDD to SSD MSI Laptop

Platinum_Gamer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hey guys,

Im planning on buying a MSI GE60 laptop: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1538_1539&products_id=29742&zenid=4077ee308c5e364e855f7ad46bcc68ba

but it doesn't have an SSD. I would like to buy a 120GB mSATA SSD separately to install into my laptop, and use my HDD as storage.

My question is: How can I put Windows 8.1 which comes with the laptop on its HDD and put it onto my new SSD?
I don't think I get a Windows 8.1 disc with the product code so I can't do what I would normally do with my desktop PC. I've done some research that there's a software called MSI Burn Recovery which comes with my laptop which I can use. I often read that cloning is also quite unreliable and could slow down the system, that's why I'm seeing if anyone knows how to use MSI Burn Recovery.

Thanks. I need answers quick as I might buy it tomorrow.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Go to the SSD manufacturer's website. They will often have a free migration tool you can download. (Usually a copy of Acronis True Image that allows a one-way copy to only their drives)

You can also buy an SSD upgrade kit, such as this one (ignore that price, for some reason it is the only one that shows up): http://www.amazon.com/250GB-Notebook-Installation-sata_6_0_gb-MZ-7TD250KW/dp/B009NHAF5G/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1422654369&sr=8-8&keywords=samsung+ssd+upgrade+kit

You can also just buy Acronis True Image.

Or if you feel up to a little more technical way, you can try out CloneZilla which is an open source bootable linux cloning tool.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
MSI Burn Recovery appears to be an option. Your concerns on the slow down are valid, as it likely will transfer the partition tables exactly as they are. SSDs don't have quite the same type of boot sector. This can cause a shift in the data that would essentially split every cluster over two NAND cells, in effect.

That would be a question for MSI though to see if they take that into account.

Platinum_Gamer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Yes I see. These cloning and recovery options are still poor choices imo. Would a clean install without a windows 8.1 be possible; how would I register my product key as they say its encrypted somewhere in my computer.

Entomber

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
you should be able to get your product key from your current install by going to This PC/Properties

then download some Windows 8.1 install media and use the existing product key to activate. It shouldn't be a problem since you are on the same motherboard.

Platinum_Gamer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Thats the ideal thing that I want to do, but so many people are saying that they can't find it or its a wrong product code.

Platinum_Gamer

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Ok. Im watching a video showing how to retrieve the encrypted key and how to do a clean install of windows 8 from an iso.