How to turn on a laptop without the power button?

fiffoo42

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
So my power button isn't working anymore and I need my laptop for schoolwork for 1 more month until I can get a new one. I just need to get it turned on once and I can hybernate it after that. I've seen some people get it on by taking off the keyboard and doing something with the wires. Some help would be much appreciated.

My laptop is an ASUS X53U.

Last edited by a moderator:

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Try the following:

Find the cable that connects the power button to the motherboard and unplug it, leaving it unplugged (You can often find laptop tear-downs on YouTube). You may find one for yours

When you power it up, use the mains switch to power on. Not the battery.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
Try the following:

Find the cable that connects the power button to the motherboard and unplug it, leaving it unplugged (You can often find laptop tear-downs on YouTube). You may find one for yours

When you power it up, use the mains switch to power on. Not the battery.

Im Spartacus

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
I know it works on other laptops I have a Toshiba and it works on my laptop. It is a known get you out of a broken power button problem. Some power buttons break or get stuck down and don't turn on because if you hold the button down normally on your laptop it shuts down a laptop or even a desktop therefor if it stuck down it wont power up it's waiting for the release then another click to power back on. If you can find a replacement power button cable do so that's if my suggestion it fixes your problem. They often have cheap click down back up mech that wear out and break, my advice is never press a new button too hard and only if it's is not working you can try pressing it harder to see if you get it to click back up. They are often beyond fixing. Remember it's the mains wall socket switch you power up with. Try both without and with battery attached before you give up.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
antopj Laptop Tech Support 2
Sérgio Ferreira Laptop Tech Support 0
Haika Laptop Tech Support 3
C Laptop Tech Support 2
URAIBLAKHANI Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 5
C Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 5
M Laptop Tech Support 0
Luvbugbby Laptop Tech Support 4