Solved! How to turn on laptop with the internal keyboard unplugged

Jun 29, 2021
Hi, I have an Acer Swift 3 SF314-52, I’ve been having trouble with the keyboard spamming keys after liquid spilled in it. I decided to unplug the internal ribbon cable and just use an external one instead.

However the laptop won’t turn on when I remove the ribbon cable, when I reconnect the cable it turns on fine. Is there anyway to bypass this? :(

I’m not sure if it’s because the power button is connected to the keyboard since I’ve heard they’re usually two separate components

Solution
Hi, I have an Acer Swift 3 SF314-52, I’ve been having trouble with the keyboard spamming keys after liquid spilled in it. I decided to unplug the internal ribbon cable and just use an external one instead.

However the laptop won’t turn on when I remove the ribbon cable, when I reconnect the cable it turns on fine. Is there anyway to bypass this? :(

I’m not sure if it’s because the power button is connected to the keyboard since I’ve heard they’re usually two separate components

Well you can easily see if the power button is connected to the keyboard because when you remove the keyboard the power button would go with it.

It may just be how the power button and BIOS acts, your model wants the keyboard present. You can buy a...
That's odd. Does it really not turn on (no power light) or just not boot up? Old PCs used to have a series of tests they would run on startup. Some failures would prevent boot up (don't recall if keyboard was one of those). You could turn off these tests in the BIOS. Don't know if that is still true and if it has anything to do with your situation.

Reactions: Streetpigeon

Well you can easily see if the power button is connected to the keyboard because when you remove the keyboard the power button would go with it.

It may just be how the power button and BIOS acts, your model wants the keyboard present. You can buy a replacement keyboard pretty cheap on eBay.

Reactions: Streetpigeon
Solution
Jun 29, 2021

It may just be how the power button and BIOS acts, your model wants the keyboard present. You can buy a replacement keyboard pretty cheap on eBay.

I found that while the laptop is on, I can unplug the keyboard ribbon cable and the laptop works fine. It still doesn’t turn on if I turn it off after though.

But it’s looking like getting a replacement keyboard would work better. Thanks