How to watch 4k on TV through HDD

Jul 21, 2018
Hi guys. So first of all I'm not an native english speaker so bear with me.

So I'm interested on watching 4k movies on my TV (Sony KD-55X725F). I'm planning on using a external hard drive, not interested on watching through hdmi with pc.

My questions are:
1. What hdd can you guys recommend me? I would prefer like maybe 4tb/5b of storage. Also, is it recommended (in this case for 4k movies) that it better be a desktop external hdd or a portable hdd is just fine? I'm assuming desktop ext hdd would be better in terms of performance and processing and because it's connected to a power socket. Feel like for a portable hdd it would be too much requirement and it would cause harm to itself.
2. Looking at my tv's specs, it mentions .mkv support but doesn't say anything about hevcx265 support. I assume it still does support it? You can check on the specs on this link: https://www.sony.com.ec/electronics/televisores/x720f-x725f-x727f-series/specifications#specifications

Jul 21, 2018

Well I should've mentioned. So I tested with a flashdrive connecting it into my tv, with 2 movie samples that are in hevc x265, and played normally/smoothly. Didn't run into any problems. So basically that answered my question right? I guess it does support it? I'm sorry for my ignorance, I don't know too much about this subject.

Also, in terms of audio codec support (I think that's how you call it), those movies I got have TrueHD as audio. Again, reading my tv's specs, it doesn't mention it supports it. It does mention it supports Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® Pulse and DTS. But like with the video/image, the audio played just fine as well on those samples. I guess it also supports it? Is Dolby Digital just a variable of TrueHD? I'm sorry again for my lack of knowledge lol. It's important that I mention those samples also have a 2nd audio track as ac3. So maybe the tv just chooses to play that audio track? How can I know which audio track is playing?

Sorry for so many questions man :(. Just wanna make sure I know what and how to do this.

Edit 1:
Never mind. I just found out that "Dolby Digital" is AC3 (lol) so probably that's the audio track that my tv played on that sample.
Also found out, I think, that TV's are not usually supposed to support TrueHD. Usually for that you get an a/v receiver I think?

Jul 21, 2018

Yeah I know, I'm being very caucious with this and really figuring out what to do. Thankfully a friend of mine is going to lend me his external hdd to see if his' is supported by my tv. I think his hdd is a 3tb seagate desktop ext hdd.

I'm interested on buying the WD Elements 6tb. If there was an 5tb option I would get that one. I think 4tb could end up being not enough space.