How wide of a viewing angle counts as IPS

Meeka_M

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hey guys,
So I'm looking to buy a ASUS ROG GL502VM - I'm a video editor and I do some medium - high gaming. I don't know too much about the details IPS (besides the fact that I need to have an IPS screen.)

I really like the look and reviews that I'm reading about this laptop, but the Asus website doesn't say it's IPS, all it says is: "15.6" (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel with 72% NTSC with G-Sync With WideView Technology." It also mentions that the laptop has 178° viewing angles.

Most of the reviews that I've read and watched say that its IPS, and I wanted to know if they we're just guessing, assuming, or if there's a certain angle that automatically counts as IPS?

IPS is not merely a label defined by how wide the viewing angle is. IPS is a specific type of LCD panel technology which generally allows for wider viewing angles and potentially better color accuracy compare to the other types of LCD technology such as TN panel which used to dominate the laptop market until probably around 5 or 6 years ago when IPS panel tech started to gain favor. Likely due to newer variants of IPS panel tech that are less expensive to manufacture compared to "traditional" IPS panels as well as improvements in response times and people getting used to the fact that colors and viewing angles are generally more superior than TN panel tech.

With regards to the Asus ROG's screen, it is a TN panel screen. That is based on three points of information:

#1 - The viewing angle is stated as 160° which is a red herring that it is a TN panel screen. IPS panel screens are typically advertised as having 178° viewing angle. It is a marketing strategy.

#2 - IPS panels are limited to 60Hz refresh rate. It does not go beyond that because of the technology itself and how the pixels in an IPS panel operate. The limit of 60Hz is the downside of IPS panels generally having better viewing angles and color accuracy compared to TN panel. The reason is rather technical and has a very strong correlation to why TN panels are sometimes referred to as 6-bit / 18-bit panels and why IPS panels are referred to as 8-bit / 24-bit panels.

#3 - G-Sync is basically a tech developed by nVidia that more or less reduces screen tearing and reduces potential render stuttering for monitors capable of exceeding 60Hz; such as 120Hz and 144Hz refresh rates.

Meeka_M

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Hm, well, the asus website does say that the model has 178° viewing angles and it says it has a 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel.
If the g-sync is useful for render stuttering for monitors that exceed 60Hz, then why would a 60Hz laptop screen need g-sync?? Not doubting your information, just curious

Hmm... okay. I saw the specs for the laptop on Amazon, not Asus' website so I guess they must have listed the wrong specs.

Looking at Asus website, I conclude that the laptop does in fact use an IPS panel. That's based on the 98% Adobe RGB and 100% SRGB stated on their webpage. Those are specs that are absolutely impossible for a TN panel screen to achieve based on the limitation of that LCD panel technology.

Unless IPS panel tech has radically changed since the last time I spent an enormous amount of time research LCD panel tech, I guess G-Sync is being used on a 60Hz LCD screen.

seeker_moc

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Um.... there's a bunch of 120Hz and 144Hz IPS monitors. There's even a couple of 165Hz ones. Nearly all are G-Sync. I've also seen (just now, I stumbled on this thread while searching) 120Hz laptop panels that are IPS and g-sync. So I'm not really sure what you mean with #2.

Edit: There are also plenty of IPS laptop panels (the majority actually) that are only 6-bit per channel color. AFAIK, this has something to do with the display electronics, not the LCD type.

amits123

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Hi,

What about the following Msi model: Msi GL62-7QF
Whats the display quality of this model ? Is it an IPS ?
How does it compare to the display in Asus Rog gl552vw

Regards.

amits123

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
Hi,

What about the following Msi model: Msi GL62-7QF
Whats the quality of display ? Is it IPS or same as IPS ?
How does it compare with the display quality of Asus Rog gl552vw.

Regards.

amits123

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
(ques2)

Hi,

Also, what exactly is this:
"94%NTSC wide-view panel".
How does it compare to an IPS ?

Regards.

The MSI GL62-7QF is advertised as having "IPS level" screen and 170 degree viewing angling so that tell me it is not IPS. NTSC is a type of color space the higher the percentage the more accurate the display can reproduce colors the actual colors of the content. It is an old standard used for analog TV (before digital).

IPS screen typically advertises Adobe RGB and sRGB color spaces which is used to judge how accurate colors are represented for photo editing. The higher they are the more color accurate the colors will be compared to the original artwork both on screen and in print.

How does a TN panel with 94% NTSC compare to an IPS panel is difficult to say because numbers to not tell you everything especially when there are so many different manufactures and models of TN and IPS panels. Not all TN panels are the same, and that can also be said for IPS panels as well.

Basically if you want to know how does the TN panel in the MSI laptop compares to an IPS panel you would need to do a side by side comparison.