How Xbox One/Windows 8 Cross Play Would Affect Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
One of the big reasons I argue against consoles is the fact that they fragment the gaming community into platform-specific services. Being able to play with Xbone users would be a great boon to all PC and Xbox gamers!

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Cross platform gaming is nothing new, And it can be done easier then they say.
Right now i am doing FF14ARR dungeons on PC , with the same time having PS3 players in my group, no problem at all

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Please guys, cross-platform is simple. Its data in, data out. Sure, the internal architectures can be totally different, but as long as the data is packaged the same when its going in/out, there's no problem. That's why you can have multiple processor arches on multiple OS's all connect to the same internet.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'd welcome cross-platform play. It seems like a logical progression in gaming.

It makes the gaming community that much larger and gives consumers even more options.

I'd look forward to this. The MS's Xbox One started out bumpy with some of MS initial policies, but it seems like they've adjusted to the demands of the market and are doing some great things from the standpoint of a next-gen console capabilities. Well beyond a simple graphics upgrade like that of the competition.

It seems like mouse/keyboard users on a PC would have an advantage over controller users on a console in shooters (my impression of this may be skewed because I'm better with a mouse/keyboard with shooters), but playing co-op in any game and playing any sports games would be pretty cool cross-platform. There's no reason most MMORPGs couldn't operate cross-platform. Lots of possibilities for this.

Skiddywinks

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Has been tried before. Shadowrun in particular failed horribly as PC gamers just thrashed everyone on the Xbox. It was just no fun for anyone involved.

redliner90

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
As a competitive gamer that put hundreds of hours in both Xbox and PC gaming, I think this joining of the two systems should not be happening. It will lead to negative consequences for both platforms because they target different groups of people.

People with an Xbox want pure simplicity in gaming. You put your game in, join with your friends, and play with an even playing field. PC is a completely different world. PC offers flexibility in the settings you play (resolution, FOV, framerate), the controls (controller, M&K, joystick), mods, dedicated servers, and more. The consoles will not be able to offer that therefore the only logical conclusion will be Microsoft locking PC games to console standards to keep an equal playing field. On the other hand, consoles (because of the locked down system) have negligible amount of cheaters on their system. Basically nonexistent. PC's Punkbuster and Valve's VAC do a decent job, but it's impossible for them to catch the huge number of cheaters that bypass those systems.

This is like Ubuntu and OSX trying to merge together. It just doesn't make any sense. The target audience is completely different and therefore the operating system revolve around that. You're going to anger both sides by trying to make compromises that people do not want.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
From what i read in previews comments mouse + keyboard combinations are better for FPS games than XBOX and PS controller. This is somehow funny because the mouse and keyboard are not made for games and the controller is made for games.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
@ Wanderer11 - NOT TRUE...haven't you heard? The XBOX One and PS4 are both keyboard & mouse capable!! No more disparity between PC and console gamers. You can use either a controller or keyboard/mouse on either platforom. That means "win win" for everyone!!

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
From what i read in previews comments mouse + keyboard combinations are better for FPS games than XBOX and PS controller. This is somehow funny because the mouse and keyboard are not made for games and the controller is made for games.

Sveg

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
The sad part about this is Square did this back in 2004. Their MMO-FFXI was multi-platform for PC/xbox/psx2/xbox360/psx3(Original with psx2mobo inside). Everyone, no matter the system could play with friends on the same server. Or leave your pc and go to a friends house and play on his ps2 with your account.
Excuses aside. Why in the hell has it taken the rest of them 10 years to do the same???
All of my wtf's!

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I do NOT understand why such a plan would/should be limited to multi player. I play solo and always will. Why does that make me a second class gamer?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I wonder if they will impose some artificial equalization rules, like all players on a particular map must use the same controller method, just to stop PC gamers pwning all the controller users

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Last year or something, Microsoft tested this. An fps, half the people on console, half on keyboard. I think it was about a 98% rate in which the pc people crushed the console people. Keyboard+Mouse is the reason I'm a pc gamer and never will be a console gamer.

ryu750

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is awesome..Now i can just get a PS4. I can play with my xbox friends on my PC... THIS WILL NEVER happen..

nikoli707

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
ummm.... as nice of a thought that is.... its not even close to fair for console users who are playing with an awkward handheld controller. Mouse and keyboard users are going to absolutely murder console users due to the mouse and keyboard being vastly more sensitive and better at controlling games.

Status
Not open for further replies.