Hp 6530b Shuts off when bottom covered or touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itlahic

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello, My hp 6530b has a major problem.
When ever it is on a flat surface, desk,table,lap or so it will shut off.
When i grab it on the left side ( near power button and charger) it does the same thing.
Ive restored windows from the disk thinking this was just Xp doing it.
Could it be a bad install ? should i go back to win 7?

Solution
Some HP laptops have a problem with cold solder joints. It can be expensive to repair. I had one that as long as one corner was propped up by a pencil sitting on the desk it worked, but as soon as I put it on a flat surface it stopped working. In the end the laptop was replaced instead of spending something like $400 for a new motherboard.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Are you saying that you installed Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop and this issue now occurs under Windows 7? I really doubt that this issue is related the OS and I would imagine that it is a physical thing like a short or a loose connection. Perhaps there is a HP utility that was helping to keep the CPU cooler and it is now shutting down to prevent damage.

Does it happen when plug-in and when running from the battery?

What do you mean by shut-off, does it shut-down from Windows properly or just a sudden crash?

itlahic

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Just a crash.
It dosent over heat casue if i have it in the right position it wont do this, but when i move it or touch near the hard drive it just goes right off.

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
That sounds like your hard drive or an internal cable is is loose. I would shut down, remove the battery and open up the laptop and inspect the hard drive region to make sure it is locked down (screwed down). Perhaps it is sliding out of place...

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Some HP laptops have a problem with cold solder joints. It can be expensive to repair. I had one that as long as one corner was propped up by a pencil sitting on the desk it worked, but as soon as I put it on a flat surface it stopped working. In the end the laptop was replaced instead of spending something like $400 for a new motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.