Laptop fans make really loud blowing noise and laptop shuts down every 3 or 4 days or so since I owned it, what should I do?

Jan 17, 2018
Hi everyone,

Just over a week ago I bought the HP 15-BW085ND laptop and ever since I got it, the fans have been making a really loud blowing noise. Which I was fine with, until my mom said something about it. So I Googled it, and I found that it's because I put the laptop on my lap when I use it and the laptop sucks air from the bottom, but it gets blocked by my jeans. So I was like alright, I guess I'll have to live with it because it's not that annoying since I wear headphones.
But not too much later the laptop shut down. I didn't think much of it for some reason, I was distracted by other stuff lol but now, a couple days later it shut down again. And I remember the same laptop in the store where I bought it didn't make this much noise.
Oh and I also tested using my laptop on a normal table but the fans still made the same amount of noise, I used it for about an hour on the table since I started it up. So that's not the issue I guess. Maybe something is wrong in the settings? I really don't wanna go back to the store and lose my laptop for weeks cause I need it.

Some more info in case it's important:
The side of the laptop blows hot air out of it;
I already tried a factory reset or whatever it's called;
It's been like this since the beginning so it's not something I've caused.

That's all the information I can think of right now please let me know if you need more!! :)
PS. please try to keep it in English, I don't know all the computer terms hehe

Reply to xSimply1337x:
I bought the laptop new, Tuesday a week ago. And I know I'm blocking the (bottom) air vent with my leg, but even when I put the laptop on a table it's still loud. And my previous laptop that I owned for 3 years never made this much sound and never shut down randomly. So I think it's kinda strange...

If you guys need more information I'll answer it tomorrow cause I have to go to bed right now :)

Solution
For starters is this laptop new? Or did you buy used? How long have you had it? Is like to know so that I can determine if you need to clean the fan system out of any dust build up.
Blocking the air vent with your leg means it can't cool the internals properly which means that it will overheat inside and can cause permanent damage to the components like your CPU. They may be called laptops but they aren't really designed to sit directly on your lap since they put the intake right where your leg sits lol.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
For starters is this laptop new? Or did you buy used? How long have you had it? Is like to know so that I can determine if you need to clean the fan system out of any dust build up.
Blocking the air vent with your leg means it can't cool the internals properly which means that it will overheat inside and can cause permanent damage to the components like your CPU. They may be called laptops but they aren't really designed to sit directly on your lap since they put the intake right where your leg sits lol.

Solution