HP 8440p sound from speakers but not headphones

Feb 18, 2018
I have a HP EliteBook 8440p that I have been using for 3 plus years without a single problem. To make a long story short I bought another identical refurbished model after I had a hard drive issue with my original, and found it to be in worse shape as far as the keyboard and touchpad were concerned and I also found the headphone port to be inoperative. I decided to swap the hard drive out of the newly purchased laptop into my original, and was able to get it perfectly operational after installing various drivers through the control panel. I still have the same issue, the headphone port will not play any sound, the sound continues to come out of the speakers of the laptop.

I have used HP's support assistant and every online resource I can find and followed the steps to make sure that everything is enabled. What I'm finding is there is no mention of headphones in any of the menus. For instance, when you pull up the volume mixer, every screen cap I've looked at says speakers and headphones above the volume slider. Mine only says speakers. Also, there no mention of headphones in the playback menu of the control panel, where I should be able to enable/disable either the speakers or headphones and or change the properties, it only has the speakers. Any idea what I can do here? Thanks for the help.

If they don't show in the "Control Panel", "Sound", "Playback Tab" window, then right click on the white background of that window and make sure both "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" is checked.

Should you still not see the them, right click on the "Speakers", only while the headphones/speakers are plugged in, and disable them. This may resolve the issue. Be sure you test that the internal speakers work again, when you unplug the headphones/speakers.

Feb 18, 2018

I tried the disable while plugged in suggestion to no avail. I can click on show disabled and disconnected devices and it still will show nothing about headphones, just speakers.

Feb 18, 2018

Disabling the external speaker whilst headphones are connected? If so yes I did. It just quit playing sound out of the laptops speakers and I still had nothing out of the headphones.

Feb 18, 2018

I purchased a USB to 3.5 mm adapter and that does work, partly at least. I can plug it in, disable the laptop's speakers and sound only comes from the headphones that are plugged into the USB adapter. The sound quality is weird at times, but it's usable. Now to my latest problem, the whole reason I'm doing all of this is because I use my laptop almost exclusively to edit videos using Adobe Premiere Pro. When I do as I mentioned above, Premiere comes up with an error message notifying that there is no audio output selected and it won't play back any of the video clips what so ever. So I'm essentially back to square one. Thanks for your help so far!

Mar 15, 2019
I have same problem with same laptop so i tried installing IDT HD audio software and my headphones started to work but internal speaker stopped and when i uninstall it internal speaker starts to work and headphones stops