adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
It seems like the computer knows that they are there, because I can see them listed under hardware. However, my wireless mouse and everything else I try to plug into them will not work. Any suggestions?

Also, I have noticed that they are not showing up as USB 3.0 in device manager. They show up as USB root hub, but I can't get device manger to recognize that they are USB 3.0, but I know that is what they are.

Try updating your chipset driver and your USB 3.0 driver. While USB 2.0 drivers are part of the chipset updates made available, USB 3.0 has yet to be standardized the same, so often the USB 3.0 driver is separate.

You can get the driver from HP's support page. Just look for your model. :)

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Hey!

I'm not sure how you came across that particular link, and hopefully the one I'm shooting your way here is the right one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96672-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5173063&sw_lang=

That's the USB 3.0 driver for your model listed in the topic title. You can find the remainder of your drivers and misc. software here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5173063#N237

Let me know if that works for you!

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Thanks for the links. I downloaded and installed the one for the Renesas Electronics Controller Utility Program, but whenever I try to run it I get an error message that says: USB 3.0 Host Controller Not Found.

You're welcome. :) It's starting to sound like a faulty controller then. Are you running an OS other than Windows 7 64 bit? And is that the right laptop model in the link(s) I provided?

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and it most definitely is showing as an HP Dv6119WM in the links you provided. So what's the next step if it's a faulty controller? Is this going to be more of a hardware issue?

Yeah if the chip is bad, then unless you or someone can find an identical, compatible chip and resolder it, you're probably looking at motherboard replacement (if it is actually bad, that is). I don't think a reflow would fix this, though that's another alternative.

Have you already tried contacting HP?

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I have not, as I got this computer used and it most probably is not under warranty.

UPDATE: As of last night, my wireless adapter disappeared altogether from the device manager and from adapter settings. All I can see is the Ethernet connection under the network settings. I have tried doing a hard reset, resetting the BIOS to default boot settings, updating the BIOS, and re-installing the driver for the WLAN card. No luck at all. The wireless adapter is completely undetected by the device manager and the HP wireless assistant. The button on my keyboard that turns the wireless adapter on and off remains amber indicating it is off.

Some further info: when I get to the end of each re-install of the drivers (both for the USB 3.0 and the WLAN card) I get a notification during the install saying that all the files already exist. I always replace the files, but at the end of each install another notification pops up stating that it may not have installed correctly and then the process of installing starts all over again.

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
So, I just wanted to update. I have been playing around with a few things and got some help on the HP forums. Apparently the chipset drivers were the issue for the USB 3.0 ports. The actual AMD chipset drivers for my specific model are not listed on the HP Drivers page. I had to go to the AMD website for my specific chipset drivers. Once I downloaded and installed, there were no issues with my USB 3.0 ports. They are now fully functional. Now if I could just get my WLAN adapter working...lol. Thanks for your help ProStar!

Wow, very nice.

Oh you're welcome! Give yourself a pat on the back for unearthing that info on the HP forums!

As for the adapter, see if the WLAN utility that came with the driver is still installed, and uninstall it if so. Or, just reinstall the driver and see if the system detects it (I hate to sound like a broken record, but that's a first resort).

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

I will look around and give that a shot. At this point, it's looking like I might have to wipe everything and start over. The damn driver will start to install and will get partially through the beginning of the setup wizard before crashing and then a message pops up telling me the driver may not have installed correctly and it wants me to try again.

Frustrating, to say the least. It's like something is blocking me from installing the driver. I tried doing it in safe mode and the bar loaded a bit further, but I still got the same result.

You might need to visit the wireless NIC vendor's website, instead of going through HP (if that's where you got the driver). If it's a Realtek card, for example, then you would have to go to Realtek's site for the driver.

Usually it's either RealTek or Aetheros. Sometimes Azurewave.

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Actually it's a Ralink RT5390. Unfortunately Ralink had some sort of merger with another company and they have no support pages that I can find. I've been trying everything I can think of on my own, but this is really stumping me.

I have tried a number of drivers for the card, but they all seem to fail partway through the beginning of the installation. They literally just hang and stop without finishing. I have, at this point uninstalled the previous driver completely. I just wish there was some way to force install the driver, but obviously I cannot do that without seeing the actual device in Device Manager. The thing is completely invisible to my system, save for when I run mscinfo32. If I do that, the thing shows up - so I know at some level the system can see it. I just have no way of knowing what is blocking me from installing the driver for it.

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Well I had some limited success with your suggestion. I was able to get the driver to install using the second link you suggested. It installed in both safe mode and running Windows normally. However, the WLAN Adapter is still invisible in the device manager and I am still not getting wifi. This is the most stubborn thing I think I have ever tried to fix!

Any other suggestions?

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Well I just installed a replacement card and no luck. I am sure it's the right card, because I looked up the part number in my manual and it matches. I'm really not sure what else to try at this point.

adammitchell

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Correct. I got the driver to work fine (the one in the link you provided is the only one that I have gotten to work so far) but still no devices found.