Solved! Hp g50 109 powers up but no video

StevenII

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I have an HP Pavilion g50 109nr.

It powers up but no video.

I can go into the bios setup and even get into the f8 screen, but no video beyond that.
Tried boot from an install dvd, but after it said "loading start up files" nothing but a blank screen.

Any ideas about what I'm dealing with?

Solution
It's either the inverter or an internal issue with the GPU. Chances are that it is the GPU, as if it was the inverter you wouldn't be able to see anything at all (also rules out the back light). It's most likely an issue with the GPU or a circuit or 2 from the GPU, most likely caused by too much heat over time. If it is under warranty, send it in to HP and they'll fix it for free. If not, you can find a repair center and see what they have to say.
It's either the inverter or an internal issue with the GPU. Chances are that it is the GPU, as if it was the inverter you wouldn't be able to see anything at all (also rules out the back light). It's most likely an issue with the GPU or a circuit or 2 from the GPU, most likely caused by too much heat over time. If it is under warranty, send it in to HP and they'll fix it for free. If not, you can find a repair center and see what they have to say.

Solution

StevenII

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Apparently there is a problem with the GPU overheating in this model. It's out of warranty, so sending it to HP is out of the question. But there is a work around this issue that I am going to try.

I'll post the outcome when I get the necessary tools and try it.