HP laptop, can't get into BIOS and BIOS recovery fails.

morky_mf

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I have two partitions in my SSD. A Linux and a windows one. A few months ago the windows partition stopped working after a Microsoft update. I was using Linux all this time just fine but today I thought why not try and format that partition and do a clean install.

I tried to get into BIOS using the F10 key and I get this screen and nothing else happens.
6oZBCY0.jpg

As a matter of fact if I press any F key that actually does something I get a similar screen stating the key and it's function but nothing is happening.

I have managed to get into this laptops BIOS several times successfully but it's been a few months since the last time.

I tried to do a BIOS recovery from a USB stick following the guide on HO's website but to no avail. Even though the recovery starts it eventually fails.

nRgPHLv.jpg

trhx6CG.jpg

What's weird is that the laptop boots fine into Linux and it works great.

Any idea on how to approach my issue?

Solution
Yes sorry the CMOS battery, remove it and let it sit for a few seconds then plug it back in. I would remove the battery and the charger from the laptop and try to give it power with CMOS battery disconnected as well to drain out any power in the system before the full reset.

morky_mf

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I'm using Grub and so far it works fine. I tried all F keys as well as delete and Esc and I get a similar screen as the one I posted. The key along with its function and nothing else happens after.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
Yes sorry the CMOS battery, remove it and let it sit for a few seconds then plug it back in. I would remove the battery and the charger from the laptop and try to give it power with CMOS battery disconnected as well to drain out any power in the system before the full reset.

Solution