HP laptop sound coming from both speakers and headphone(sometimes)

Jason_181

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
So recently I noticed that I had to turn up the volume quite a bit higher when I had my headphone pluggde in. Today I noticed that there's sound coming from both the speakers and the headphones.

The headphones also sometimes make a small beep noice and the sound will then be cut off from the headphones(only to return a while later).

I tried to set the the headphones as the default device in the recording tab of the Sound program, but I can't select it. It is being displayed as Headset Mic Current unavailable. Under the playback section there are the speakers and the Communication Headhpones(which aren't actually my headhpones.

I've also tried to update the audio driver through device manager, but it just says that Windows has determined that this version is the best one that I could use/need. I've had this issue for several days, but didn't notice till now. When the headphones do play the audio, it seems to play the audio at the level of the speakers(I usually need to set the volume higher when I only use the speakers compared to using the headhpones

Oh and the headphones seem to work perfectly fine on my phone. I haven't been able to test it them on another laptop/computer.

HP Zbook 15 mobile workstation
IDT audio 1.0.6496.0

Solution
Have you tried completely uninstalling the drivers (not just updating what is already there), rebooting the computer and then reinstalling them?
If your external speakers/headphones aren't working, ore are coming through the built in speakers as well, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

Jason_181

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
The configure button for the entry Communication Headphones is greyed out. I tried setting it as the default communication device, but it did nothing(hence why I thought that isn't the entry for my headphones). I also tried setting it to my default device, but it won't change that.

It does say that the communication headphones is on the Right Panel 3.5mm jack and so does the Headset Mic under the recording tab.