Solved! Hp pavilion laptop disk usage at 100% and wont go down

Jan 28, 2022
Hello,
I have a hp pavillion laptop touchscreen. It gave me a message saying i needed to replace the cooling fan, and soni ordered a new fan the exact same. After installing the new fan the message was gone but now my cpu's disk usage is at a consistent 99% or 100% usage at all times. Ive looked online for some methods to reduce disk usage but resulted in nothing changing. Please I really need help, I would really apreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks 😌 also im not sure if its the new fan failing because when the laptop is turned on i can hear the new fan working hard and getting louder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
First get a copy of the machine's service manual. You should find that on the internet. Follow the procedures in there for replacing the fan, paying particular attention to ESD precautions. Remove the new fan, compare it to the old fan (same part number?) and clean the air paths as described in the manual (use an air duster NOT brushes or a vacuum). The previous is to address the issue of the fan sounding like it is failing. If it's a cheap replacement and not OEM, maybe it is.

Regarding the disk usage, use the task manager to find out what is using the disk so much and let us know.
First get a copy of the machine's service manual. You should find that on the internet. Follow the procedures in there for replacing the fan, paying particular attention to ESD precautions. Remove the new fan, compare it to the old fan (same part number?) and clean the air paths as described in the manual (use an air duster NOT brushes or a vacuum). The previous is to address the issue of the fan sounding like it is failing. If it's a cheap replacement and not OEM, maybe it is.

Regarding the disk usage, use the task manager to find out what is using the disk so much and let us know.

Reactions: Mauiwaui369
Solution