HP Pavilion vs Omen

Darth Washington

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
I'm looking for a fast business laptop. I like the keyboard and mousepad on the HP's, specifically the Pavilion and the Omen. I can get 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, i7 6700HQ on both of them, but the Omen is about $150 more. Is there anything that makes the Omen a better choice than the Pavilion? Speaking in terms of the 2016 models here. Is there a better choice of laptop in the $1k range with the above specs? I'm very picky about mousepads, and I like the HP ones.

Edit: I'm looking for a 17" model, prefer no touch screen but not entirely against one.

Thank you!

Darth Washington

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure I'll need that much GPU, I will be doing a bit of 3D modeling, but for the most part I will be doing software development, lot's of MS Office work, accounting, etc. Not really much gaming, but a bit here and there. Do you think the extra cost is worth it for the 1060/70 with that in mind?

Darth Washington

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015

Pavilioin is about $930, Omen is about $1090. It seems like the hardware is identical between the 2, but I'm not positive. I did the customize thing on HP and selected same processor, ram, and hdd so I would expect the prices to be closer to each other.