HP ProBook 4520 s no graphics anymore

Gunter Sammet

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hi all:
I have an HP ProBook 4520s with Windows 7 Professional. 2 days ago it crashed. After a few restores it worked again for a little while. But then when it maxed system resources, it crashed again. Now when I turn it on, the built in monitor is black and the external monitor shows a striped pattern. Every second strip is readable and the others are not (looks the same as having the wrong refresh frequency set).
I suppose it's the graphics card and/or motherboard. Any way I can test that? Could it be something else? I recently upgraded RAM but I tried it with each of the modules individually with no luck.
Can I find any info in the minidump files?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,

Gunter

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
If you load Windows in Safe or VGA mode, does it look the same?

You may have either a damaged graphics chip or a corrupt driver. Booting Windows in Safe or VGA mode forces it to use the built-in Windows driver, and will point you to the problem. Same problem in Safe or VGA mode means a damaged chip.

Casey

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It's dead jim. Seems to me like your onboard video died a horrible death. Well it could just be that the section of memory your onboard VGA was using went bad and that's just swapping out RAM. If your system has two RAM modules try it with just one, and if doesn't work swap it out to try the other. If it's not that then it could either be the motherboard itself on the on die GPU.

Gunter Sammet

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Safe mode shows the same problem.

Gunter Sammet

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I tried it with each of the new modules individually. Couldn't find the old one, so couldn't try with them.

nhalkabir

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
HP Probook 4440s
Total memory : 4.00 GB (3.94 GB System + 64 MB Video)
CPU : Intel Core i5-3230M CPU@2.6 GHz

Should I proceed with Windows 7 or should I choose 8?
which one will fit well in my laptop?