HP probook 6455b linux compatible wireless card

Fermi

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I have an HP probook that is running Linux Mint 16 currently, and I am having driver issues with broadcom wireless card. Does anyone know of a good wireless card that is compatible with both HP and Linux?

Solution
Intel and Atheros-based wireless cards seem to be well supported in Linux. Are you looking at replacing the internal card, or using a USB/PC Card adapter?

What driver are you using for your Broadcom card, the open-source ones or the Broadcom-provided ones? I had a Dell Latitude D531 with a Broadcom wireless card, and used the Broadcom-supplied drivers under OpenSUSE. The drivers worked fine, but it got annoying having to recompile and update the driver every kernel update. My current Latitude D830 has an Intel 4965 card, and it works great.

Casey

cklaubur

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Intel and Atheros-based wireless cards seem to be well supported in Linux. Are you looking at replacing the internal card, or using a USB/PC Card adapter?

What driver are you using for your Broadcom card, the open-source ones or the Broadcom-provided ones? I had a Dell Latitude D531 with a Broadcom wireless card, and used the Broadcom-supplied drivers under OpenSUSE. The drivers worked fine, but it got annoying having to recompile and update the driver every kernel update. My current Latitude D830 has an Intel 4965 card, and it works great.

Casey

Solution