HP Stream 7 vs chuwi vi8 vs chuwi hi8

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Which of these sub 100 tablets would you recommend? The chinese ones have better specs but theyre chinese so im not sure of build quality. are they reputable?

delaro

Distinguished
My issue with Cheap Chinese tablets are these, also the Stream is pretty pokey with Windows that 1gb RAM is a real hinder.

1. Piss poor Batteries they tend to go out in a year.
2. Poor Battery Life.... 4-5 hours is typical even though the advertise 8hours.
3. Screen Bloom.. discoloring. around the edges of the screen, Low Brightness, Low Field of View hard to see in Light.
4. Poor Speaker Placement or just one Speaker that has a Very low Volume.
5. Schizo OS issues like Self Bricking for no apparent reason, Not coming out of sleep, crashing and randomly deleting Files "Music, Movies, Books"
6. Slow to no Os updates as they tend to Customize Android with there own Bloatware infested Kernel, don't expect to find a Rom to flash over it unless it's really popular, the guys at XDA probably wont even look at it.
7. Windows Versions with 1gb or RAM or slow.

So buying Cheap Tablets is a Crap Shot on which issues you deal with because you will have at least 2 of these with any of them. For a basic tablet consider these.

Kindle Fire HDX 16gb "Shopko" $89 The chain is discontinuing the line, they are a kick ass tablet for that price look up the specs.
Kindle Fire HD 6 $50 "Shopko"The chain is discontinuing the line

Nexus 7 2012 " Ebay $45 $90 Newegg "Still a damn nice Tablet"
Nexus 7 2013 Ebay $90+, refurb $114, New $150

Lenovo Tab 2 A7-30 $80 .
ASUS ZENPAD Z170C-A1-BK 7 $94
ASUS MeMO Pad 7 ME176CX-A1-RD $99

Yoga Tablet 2 $160

JimBobWales

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I almost bought a yoga 2 before ordering the hp but then just couldn't bring myself to spend more than a 100 bucks on a tablet. All I'll be using it for is surfing the web and watching youtube and other media file while lying in bed or on the couch and occasionally taking it outside. I was gonna get one of the cheap android ones you mentioned like the memo pad but then I saw the hp had full windows. Full windows on a tiny lil thing like that for 70 bucks seemed to good to pass up.

Only reason Im asking here is that I saw the chinese tablets were around the same price (+20$) but with 2gb of ram (The hi8 also has 1200p screen) and 8 inch screens. In your opinion is the hp's "reliability" (since it's a better known brand) worth the lower specs compared to the chinese stuff? Or Does the low price point mean everything is gonna have low quality regardless of the brand being chinese or not/

delaro

Distinguished
Off name Tablets all have the unwanted side effects some more than others, I have yet to see one that comes close to the quality of the old Nexus 7 when you look at Speed, Build Quality, Screen Quality, Sound and Battery Life as well as OS stability. Windows Tablets with less than 1gb of ram all suffer the same issue, they really slow down with more than a few apps running. You can't expect a stellar tablet for $100 but what I listed are pretty good for Steaming, Web Browsing and general use.

If your referring to the HP 8 G2 Tablet it will give you the same experience as a Galaxy Tab 3 "2013".. Mediocre Screen, fast enough to get things done, Okay sound, Okay Battery Life nothing Stellar but the Build qualities and Stability is about the same.

If your referring to this Chuwi Hi8 Android 4.4 + Win10 Tablet PC

http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_219480.html?currency=USD&gclid=COOxlo3v08gCFQaOaQodPxwAGg

Here is a Review I can tell you it suffers from Issues 1,2,3,4 without actually holding one.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Short answer: None of the above.

I have an HP Stream - and these are absolutely terrible tablets. I wouldn't touch those cheap knock off brand X tablets with a 10 foot pole either.

Better would be to save your money and buy a much better tablet when you can afford one.

sonpaekm

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Full windows on a tiny lil thing like that for 70 bucks seemed to good to pass up.
O0gxt3