HTC Considering its Own Smartphone Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

why? Seems like andriod is the only solid competitor for Apple OS. Why change it and end up with a great handset and subpar software?

G

they going to build there own os because Windows mobile suck!!

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I don't see their motivation for this. They are already making successful phones with Android, what would making their own OS accomplish? That would take a bit of an investment just to develop and test the software, and then they would be pushing another OS into an already crowded market with no apps to it's name. With each new OS, the amount of developers willing to work on them gets stretched thinner and thinner.

If it's something they want to dabble in while still making phones with Android and Windows Mobile, I can understand that. But dumping those for something new makes little sense.

I hope they stick with Android.

CraZyNOTRT

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Here an idea, make a Phone and let us choose what OS we want, then EVERY ONE IS happy.

they are little computers they should all work like computers, hell even dual boot windows/andriod or other combination.
that way you dont feel left out when one os has and app for that and one doesnt

CraZyNOTRT

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
Here an idea, make a Phone and let us choose what OS we want, then EVERY ONE IS happy.

they are little computers they should all work like computers, hell even dual boot windows/andriod or other combination.
that way you dont feel left out when one os has and app for that and one doesnt

ipp

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Or they could just talk to MS and Google and tell them what they want. Probably just a play to ensure their developers get heard - threaten with your own OS!

If they buy palm, even easier.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
windows mobile 6 series FTW

works great when you have a stylus and there so many free apps available. if HTC starts their own OS, then there will be very few apps for it.

as long as it supports multitasking and a good tabbed web browser with flash support

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
windows mobile is probaly the easiest system to develope for. Most of the programs it runs are free and its easly to mod it if you want to. I also like being able to walk into my room or get into my car and my phone syncs with everything i have its cool and easy. i have even coded my own scripts and software to run stuff in my room. i can even use it for my TV remote and i can remotly accsess stuff from the cell.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]siman[/nom]windows mobile is probaly the easiest system to develope for. Most of the programs it runs are free and its easly to mod it if you want to. I also like being able to walk into my room or get into my car and my phone syncs with everything i have its cool and easy. i have even coded my own scripts and software to run stuff in my room. i can even use it for my TV remote and i can remotly accsess stuff from the cell.[/citation]

Isn't Windows 7 Phone (or whatever it's called this week) going closed-platform, like iPhone OS?

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I have sprint. Ive had the touch pro,diamond,samsung moment and now have a hero. Saying that I loved my hero but ive become discusted with it because its still running android 1.5 with no firm update date. I ended up rooting my phone to see what all the hype was about 2.1 and Im not impressed at all. I thought I was going to be wow but its not that serious.

I never liked my prevoius windows phones but when they drop, the wife and i will be changing over. I will never buy another htc product again.

I know its off topic but Im anti htc right now.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
WebOs would be great for HTC actually... It is quite nice and it would certainly be a VERY good competitor against Android and the iPhone OS. Windows Phone 7 is not out yet, but it will certainly require a full year to become nice and polished anyway.

With the number of devices that HTC spams the market with, as long as they stick with one OS, they could make it successful..... as long as the OS is already decent, like WebOS or Android.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]I sincerely hope they stay with Android...[/citation]The problem with Android is that the applications are mostly Java-like language (to be architecture-independent) and this has impact on performance and battery life. If someone would just make a special Linux distro with apps based on native code, it could be faster and have longer battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.