apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I purchased the HTC One M8 as my stubborn entry to the "modern world of smartphones", and so far I am very happy with my decision. The battery after a day so far is very strong, the OS and device is very smooth, and the 4G(LTE)connection is very fast. However, I do have one concern with the phone that I don't know is a problem or just how the device is supposed to be, since I have never owned an Android device or smartphone before, only an Apple iPod touch.

I have noticed that the screen can be activated by things other than my fingers, while the same is untrue for my iPod touch 2nd and 5th generation. For example, I was watching a YouTube video with the included HTC earbuds, and one of the wires on them brushed against the screen of the phone. This dragging motion was very quick and light, but cause the video to get fast-forwarded by the action. I manually tested this again by removing the ear buds and gently using them to try to perform actions on the device, and it worked as though I was using my hands. I also tried this on a few other items, and while many did not cause the phone to do anything, often times soft or rubber items would use the phone normally, as with other headphone cords. However, my iTouch can only be used by my fingers, as these same tests did nothing on it.

I'm probably getting worried over nothing, but it is my first Android device and smartphone, and if something is wrong with my $600 device I would like to get it looked at sooner than later. Thank you for any input!

Solution

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

I noticed this with my Nokia Lumia 925.

The Lumia is able to detect gloves because it has a supersensitive screen that can detect rubber and stuff too. The M8 isn't like the Nokia in that it is one of it's features, but newer touchscreens tend to get better and better and likely it isn't a problem neccesarily.

I would go to the phone store and see if the phones on display there do the same thing. I have an HTC One M7 (older version) and it doesn't do it.

If it is a serious issue and the display models don't have the issue, the staff may let you switch it out, but I kind of doubt they would given it's such a trivial kind of problem. They will say it's is not an issue, but rather a feature.

Anyway, good luck man!

Solution

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Until I can manage to test out another M8, be it a demo or a friend's, I'm just going to assume all is well but I will definitely make sure to test it as soon as possible (nearest Verizon store is fairly far away). Yeah I would imagine them saying that. Fortunately it's not really an issue besides very rare cases or trying to replicate it with the specific intention of doing so, so there's at least that.

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Have an idea: You could probably put a screen protector on the phone, and that would make it less sensitive because it will add another layer between the digitizer (what detects the touches) and you finger/headphones, etc.

Buy some screen protectors here: http://www.xtremeguard.com/Default.asp

Buy two items and use this promo code: 90off2

Your order will likely be just over $1, free shipping; for some quality screen protectors. They aren't quite as good as the brands like Skinomi, but their dry apply protectors are very good. I would recommend getting your order of 2 by getting a dry apply one and a wet apply one.

I promise I'm not trying to sell this company because theyre mine or anything, they are just simply unbeatable for the price. Shipping is very fast too.

Hope that helps!