HTC Vive Tracking Issues

RRichards

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Hey, I've had my vive for a few months now and it's been great so far, but recently I've been getting some serious tracking related issues that's really making VR extremely difficult to use properly. In certain areas my hands in game or controllers seem to just fly off in random directions, sometimes very far away from my body, if I wave my hands around enough the tracking seems to fix itself and return to normal but this is happening very often now and really breaks immersion in games. I think this may be a simple line of sight issue, but at this time I am not too sure. My room is a strange shape and I think that certain areas of the base stations line of sight may be obstructed. If anyone has had this issue before and resolved it I would greatly appreciate some help as I love VR and would really like to have it working properly again.

System Specs:
CPU: 8700k @ 5ghz
GPU: 1080ti ftw3 @2000mhz
Ram: Gskill Ripjaws V 16gb 3000mhz
PSU; Corsair Rm850x
Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero
Cooler: Corsair h150i w/push pull config

Solution
I have a ceiling fan right in between the 2 base stations that I have. Use the sync cable and set the base stations to the proper mode. It solved my issues. Also make sure your stations are angled at roughly 35 degrees. Additionally remove any reflective objects or obstruct them in some way. This could be mirrors, windows, or monitors/TVs. As for infrared sources remove them as well or obstruct them. Rooms with large windows that let in sunlight have been known to cause issues just from the sunlight itself.

Good luck.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I have a ceiling fan right in between the 2 base stations that I have. Use the sync cable and set the base stations to the proper mode. It solved my issues. Also make sure your stations are angled at roughly 35 degrees. Additionally remove any reflective objects or obstruct them in some way. This could be mirrors, windows, or monitors/TVs. As for infrared sources remove them as well or obstruct them. Rooms with large windows that let in sunlight have been known to cause issues just from the sunlight itself.

Good luck.

Solution

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
^ Mostly agree.. (I haven't used the sync cable).

One thing to add... I had a problem where it would constantly drift on one controller.

What I found out is the problem only occurred when I had the lights turned off. I just figured the system would work better like that. The issue went away when I turned on the lights! Strange.