HTPC for the 4k movie playback

Uzamitpro

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
Hi guyz! I have a home theatre computer but it plays only 1080p blu ray and 3d blu ray movies with fine fps but i want to know that what computer components should i need to upgrade for the 4k movie playback? and also what blu ray drive should i need to buy for the 4k blu ray discs?
Pc specifications:
Intel pentium G2020 2.9ghz dual core processor
Hp blu ray drive (blu ray reader and dvd writer)
Kingston 10gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
GIgabyte Nvidia GT-630 2gb 128-bit ddr3 graphic card
Casing Gigabyte Sumo Alpha Mid Tower
Motherboard Gigabyte H61M-DS2 rev3.0
WD Green 1tb Sata Hard drive
seagate barracuda 2tb Sata hard drive

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The blueray reader/combo remains the same.
You have enough RAM.

Both the processor and GPU can theoretically still do the job for 4k movies. GT630 is only max 4k 30Hz.
How good your proc+gpu combination on handling 4k videos playback, this you must try first.
Theorectically, you should not see issues and do not need any upgrade.
If you see issues, upgrade the GPU to e.g. GT760 first.

Uzamitpro

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

Thanks for the immediate reply! I have checked sintel ultra hd 4k video on cyberlink power dvd 13 and vlc media player with fraps software and i am getting 15-24 fps but still very lagging on more detailed graphic scenes and sound is also lagging so what do you think that what should i need to buy on the cheap and i don't think that nvidia geforce gt series would perfectly work with the 4k movies such as gt760 and i forgot mentioning that i am using windows 10 pro 64-bit operating system and i have heard that pc blu ray drives and media players are not released yet for the 4k blu ray playback on the forums.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
On PC, software is another story.
I do not know which on is the best for 4k blue-ray.
I personally still do not have any 4k display, hence, I am not trying to play 4k videos/games....but I am 100% confident that my PC can do it with ease.

Assuming you have already the perfect software,
Newer GPUs can process or take over more decoding jobs away from the main processor. This is why, you should try to upgrade the GPU first.
The newer the GPU generation is the better, you do not need the gaming class tho'. You can also try GTX950 or similar from AMD.
If it is still not working well, you can try to upgrade the processor to a cheapest i5 you can find.

Uzamitpro

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

Also thanks for your reply bignastyid!