HTPC only outputs 2 channel PCM

pbj44

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
My problem is my HTPC only outputs 2 channel PCM to my AVR when playing games. My setup is:

PC with AMD Radeon R9 380
Yamaha RX-V765 7.2 AVR
7.1 speakers and Subwoofer
Epson 6100 projector

GPU HDMI is out to AVR which then outputs via HDMI to projector
Under Device Manager my output option is listed as AMD Epson.
I have configured that option to 7.1 and each speaker and the sub test fine in the Config tab. Also each speaker is set to small. Available Codecs under AMD Epson show all the current Dolby and DTS flavors available.
My guess is that somehow the PC is only seeing my projector thru the HDMI chain, not the AVR and is setting PCM output to two channels accordingly, seeing as how the projector outputs in stereo. Bluray disks and games on my Sony PS3 play multi-channel just fine. I am stumped on how to fix it.

robert600

Distinguished
I'm not familiar with your receiver. In the settings of mine, under hdmi out ... hdmi audio out, I can choose between 'amp' and 'tv+amp'. If you can find a similar setting and set it to 'amp' ... no audio signal will be sent to your projector - that may solve the problem.

pbj44

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

pbj44

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017

pbj44

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I don't have an alternate hdmi tv or monitor to test this on, sorry.I was thinking that part of my problem may be with lack of an encoder on my pc for Dolby digital. I had assumed that my Gpu did that. But as a newbie that is likely wrong? Are gpu's simply passive pass-thru devices? Is there a download of some sort that I need?