Huawei Laptop Function keys not working

ichigo247

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Recently i formatted my Huawei HZ-W29 multiple times.
After that the Fn key stopped working with the F keys for brightnes, sound etc.
I searched and all i found is possibly the drivers or Services could have been setup incorrectly after format.
Sadly, all solutions i found were for Samsung and VAIO and they do not directly solve my problem or the Service does not share the same name.

Thanks for your time.

Solution
Here are a few more options to try, including regarding the hotkeys... https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-function-keys-not-working-laptop/
NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

ichigo247

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I do not have an external keyboard.
Uninstalled the keyboard's "Standard PS/2 Keyboard" driver and restarted, I removed the password so i do not face an issue with login.
The problem is not solved.
I updated drivers for both devices under: Mice and other pointing devices.
They were both up to date.

for clarity, the problem is solely in the "Fn" button and the functions linked to it such as: Fn=F1 (Brightness dimming)

The only way to know if it is the key itself is to test using an external keyboard. You can try checking your keyboard to see if there is anything in it. Dirt, dust, food, etc., that could be interfering.

If the device is still under warranty you can also try contacting the manufacturer about a repair.

ichigo247

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

No, i know for a fact that it is not a faulty key because it has a led light when it is pressed once.
Also, when i press it it switches and pressing F1 no longer is registered as F1 (when in chrome the help page is not shown when pressed) and after i press Fn the F buttons return to normal functionality (F5 for refresh, F1 for help page).
That is how i know the Fn key is not faulty or dirty.

Also the F8 functions normally and brings up the display options for external displays such as: "Second Screen", "Mirror Screen".

The Fn key is not the problem, it's that AFTER pressing it and the led light turns on indicating the F buttons are now switched to the shortcut icons, pressing F1 for dimming brightness does not work, pressing F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7 for their functions does not work, while pressing F8 works fine.

ichigo247

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Well, what magical driver is it ?
I have uninstalled the monitor driver, the sound driver, the HID driver, the mouse driver, they keyboard driver and the graphics driver, the USB driver for good measure.

Still an issue.
The microsoft article does not apply to this problem.