Hulu May Require Cable Subscription For Free Streaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I just cut my cable 2 days ago after realizing that I spend +$70/month for Discovery channel, NatGeo and a few other channels. To me it just isn't worth it. My plan was in fact just as the HuLu execs plan to use more streaming and other methods to watch TV. These execs are highly misguided though if they think I am going to restart my cable just to watch HuLu. If anything I will probably use Netflix or some other streaming service. If all else fails I will resort to pirating.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
content providers should stop protecting the TV cable companies.

Get some sponsor ads company to pay ur contend, offer it free to everyone. Havent them to lean the real reason what makes Google/facebook/Youtube so successful?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
These steps backwards to artificially preserve the tried and true market are not benefiting the consumer and really holding services like Hulu back. They need to find the way to make it work on it's own to ensure it succeeds and they can continue in the new online streamed content world. Where are our new online-only shows that are advertised via traditional programming?

targetdrone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hulu may go but I am 100% sure the CEO and upper management are well taken care off.[/citation]

In a better world CEOs would be forced to commit seppuku without a second for making decisions that destory a company.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]I disagree with this article, i am one of those people who cut the cord and get all my content via a combo of Hulu, Netflix, and HBOgo.I for one will never go back to cable[/citation] How do you get HBOgo without a cable subscription with HBO?
AFAIK, there is no stand-alone HBOgo subscription available, sadly. I'd pay $12 per month for it. I'm guessing you must log in using a friend's or family member's credentials?

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Cut the cord, and never look back."I want to hear you make decisions without your television"[/citation] I shit you not...I was listening to DM when i read your post lololol

Stza

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
seems like a real bad idea to me... I think they'll convince more people to pirate their shows than they will to sign up for a cable subscription. In my experience, people of my generation (27ish and under) don't want a cable TV subscription. We're more likely to have a laptop than a huge TV in our living room, and we want to watch the shows we like where/when it fits into our day, not necessarily when it happens to air.

I hope that I don't paint a picture of a spoiled kid who wants everything their own way. i just feel that with the technology we have available, why would we settle for an expensive, inflexible and inconvenient system?

Quick example: the landline phone. I dont know anyone (literally, anyone) in my age group that has landline phone service. Why would we? We have cell phones, and an added landline adds zero value. Same thing for cable packages.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I also recentyl cut cable for netflix/hulu plus and amazon prime. costs less thnan cable, now I only have internet through comcast and i'm pretty happy thus far, most tv networks let you stream episodes after they are broadcaste a few days later like for usa network or comedy central shows which are abotu the only things i watched previously anyway

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
First off, you cannot get everything Hulu offers through Hulu+. You need access both Hulu and Hulu+ to watch all of their content because of poor licensing agreements. If Hulu+ did offer everything though, I would get it to supplement my Netflix streaming. Even if the price was doubled, it would be far cheaper than cable/satellite.

I know some are blaming Comcast/NBCU for this. But I happen to think that Newscorp is the main reason for this. Like was said earlier, look at how you now have to be with a pay-tv provider (or sub to Hulu+) who has an agreement with Fox to get the shows the next day.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]First off, you cannot get everything Hulu offers through Hulu+. You need access both Hulu and Hulu+...[/citation]I was not aware of this. What does free Hulu offer that Hulu+ does not?
My Googling doesn't come up with any info indicating this is the case.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I was not aware of this. What does free Hulu offer that Hulu+ does not?My Googling doesn't come up with any info indicating this is the case.[/citation]
I'm not sure what exactly is on Hulu compared to Hulu+. But it has something to do with licensing. Some product is only allowed to be shown via the website (Hulu only), while other content can be shown on both the website and net devices like Roku (Hulu+). This is why Hulu (and others) blocked access to their site from Google TV. They didn't want pc only content to be viewed on tv's. Pretty stupid because it's pretty easy to watch Hulu with a pc connected to a tv. I've been doing it like that for years now.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The big fear for cable companies is that users are trying to "cut the cord," watching their favorite content online instead of using a cable box. On the contrary, consumers merely want multiple platforms, to not be tied down in front of the living room TV.
This is extremely naive and the cable companies aren't going to buy that. Every person I know that pays for streaming media has gotten rid of their cable TV subscription. The main benefit of using the online services is that they costs you

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS