Hurray: Copy/Paste Coming to Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]WP7 > iPhone[/citation]
lets hope..even as an iphone user/lover, i hate apple (yeah call me a hypocrite its fine). MSFT really needs to boost up the competition right now.

G

3 years late, still not finished, and "One day it will be great!". Does it stop to check to make sure "Is this copy of Windows legal, or do you owe us more money?" with every call? Yeah....enjoy all that.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I know its a big talking point, but it's really not a big sell point for me. The only time I'd use it on a phone would be for copying/pasting links into an email. And, for the most part, using a web browser is a PITA on a device the size of a phone so I tend not to use the feature unless there's a real need.

Its a great feature to have, don't get me wrong. I just don't believe that, once people are actually *using* the devices, its going to be as big of a deal as people seem to be saying.

G

If c/p is not included it makes me hesitent to think what other "mandatory basics" are also not a priority. Sorry but I use c/p a lot on my smart phone and currently only BB has a real c/p.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]freename[/nom]I know its a big talking point, but it's really not a big sell point for me. The only time I'd use it on a phone would be for copying/pasting links into an email. And, for the most part, using a web browser is a PITA on a device the size of a phone so I tend not to use the feature unless there's a real need.Its a great feature to have, don't get me wrong. I just don't believe that, once people are actually *using* the devices, its going to be as big of a deal as people seem to be saying.[/citation]
i don't use it because it is 1. absent, 2 it doesn't work and not because i don't need it.

G

I have never ever had a need to copy and paste on my phone. EVER.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Having been a win-mobile user for years, I can tell you I use copy/paste all the time just like you do on an ordinary desktop. When you are texting or emailing, you can use it extensively. Or if you want to move an appointment to another time you copy/paste the entry rather than manually edit the time. We are all lazy, if we can copy rather than type manually, we will do it.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why does it seem like Win 7 Mobile looks soo...pre-Windows? I mean, really I saw an image of a phone w/ the OS and the images are blocky. It reminds me of something that could've been for Deskmate.

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
No copy/paste in inexcusable. How much extra resources would it have really required to get something as simple as copy/paste into the final product? I use copy/paste all the time on my iphone, especially for those extra long and complex weblinks that would be a royal pain to write out or try to remember and type out. One thing is for sure, my next phone will be based on android and not a wp7. WP7 is at least a year away from being anywhere close to android and even ios. They obviously wanted it out in time for the holiday season but serious no copy/paste? Come on. Oh yea, be sure to include tethering in that same update.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]WP7 > iPhone[/citation]

No, WP7 > iOS 4

The handsets themselves have a lot to live up to in order to match, and best, the iPhone - screen clarity, responsiveness, etc. Love it or hate it, Apple set the bar very high in terms of user experience and it's been difficult to match.

I've only used 2 phones be able to beat the iPhone (HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S), and frankly I don't see the WP7 experience being up to scratch - underpowered hardware combined with (I'm sure) a bloated, buggy OS isn't going to be fun.

I hope I'm wrong, but to be honest I'm content rocking with Android.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]I don't see the WP7 experience being up to scratch - underpowered hardware combined with (I'm sure) a bloated, buggy OS isn't going to be fun.[/citation]

I'd have to disagree with this.

Most, if not all of the initial launch models feature a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, which I believe is nearly on par with the A4. Furthermore, all models feature 800X480 resolution that isn't much smaller than iPhone's "retina" display. Lastly, the OS looks very lean and speedy - go check out the hands-on videos at Engadget. I couldn't see lag anywhere.

Personally I'm perfectly fine sticking to Symbian myself, however. Just my 2 cents.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'd have to disagree with this. Most, if not all of the initial launch models feature a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, which I believe is nearly on par with the A4. Furthermore, all models feature 800X480 resolution that isn't much smaller than iPhone's "retina" display. Lastly, the OS looks very lean and speedy - go check out the hands-on videos at Engadget. I couldn't see lag anywhere.Personally I'm perfectly fine sticking to Symbian myself, however. Just my 2 cents.[/citation]

The WP7 minimum requirement for CPU is 1GHz, and the snapdragon is better than the A4.

Pre-market ready samples that i saw demonstrated in videos were working incredibly smoothly and the functionality seemed great. I personally liked the whole title running off the screen thing, i dunno why it appealed to me but everyone to their own. Anyway, this was months ago and i'm sure that MS did major polishing and refining since then so i'm guessing its going to be nice.

Its good to see some good OS competition going on, the consumer wins in the end. We can only wait to see what Nokia is coming up with in their new Symbian and this new OS from RIM.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]even as an iphone user/lover, i hate apple (yeah call me a hypocrite its fine). MSFT really needs to boost up the competition right now.[/citation]

even as an iPhone hater, I still can't see MS getting any real Piece of the cake here.

Status
Not open for further replies.