'Hurt Locker' Studio Now Suing Nearly 50K Pirates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]As a business model its pretty good.They could end up making more money suing pirates than they did from movie sales.50,000 successful cases x $2,000 per case = $100 MillionAccording to IMDB Hurt Locker only grossed $12 Million at the box office.[/citation]
well i guess this is the new way of making money when a movie sucks....look at how much money other movies make....take TITANIC for example....it's called being original

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
a $2000 movie rental for a crappy movie sounds like a pretty bad deal. Redbox is much cheaper.

if they actually pursue this suit, then future movies made by this studio should be boycotted....oh wait, The Hurt Locker pretty much already was!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
So if the studio wins, who pays? you still have to get the 50k users to individually fork our their penalty. That would most likely result in 50k summons.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
when will people learn and stop using torrents i stopped a 4-5 years ago to much safer way to do downloading and much faster is to use Usenet yes you have to pay for it but what is 10-20 Bux a month 0.33c a day to 0.66 c a day for having unlimited bandwidth for downloading and not having to Share it back to a ratio of 1:1 witch is some cases takes 3-4 days and anyone that gets on that tracker can see what IP addresses are linked to it also with Usenet some of the better Servers allow you to SSL from them to you at usually 256 bit so you really don't have to worry in my house there are Two people that use Usenet and we have two separate connections one DSL and one Comcast there have been months that on the DSL accnt we've downloaded over 1 TB i got a call from Comcast telling me i was using to much before they put the Caps in place and they had me at just over 500GB and i was still a week from the month ending.. and i know some people might say it's too complicated and it's really not just Try
Sabnzb+ it's a catch all for usenet

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
you own internet service. its connected to your pc. But like others have said, a guest can use it, so can your neighbors via wifi. isnt there a burden of proof beyond associating an IP with a person?

That's like me saying that I associate a car to be owned/used by a person. If a thief drives off with it, and runs someone over, am I responsible for that persons death, just because i own the vehicle?

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I have no love for the RIAA, but how much longer before people start catching on that this is the digital age, and you don't have to physically leave your house to commit a crime? Sure, watching a crappy movie isn't the same as robbing a bank, but it is the modern-day version of sneaking in a theater without paying. The only difference is now 50,000 people are sneaking in to watch a free movie, so yeah, the industry that wanted to sell 50,000 tickets/DVDs is going to bite back. If they can't appeal to your sense of honesty, they'll appeal to your fear of getting your bank account taking a big hit. You can keep telling yourself (and the rest of us) that it's not a crime, or it's a victimless crime, or somehow you're making the world a better place, but that's all just a bunch of rationalization for wanting to play without wanting to pay...good luck with that when the RIAA gets your name from your ISP.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]fuxxnuts[/nom]so can your neighbors via wifi. isnt there a burden of proof beyond associating an IP with a person? [/citation]
In Germany, they've made it illegal to operate a wifi without encryption. I guess that makes their burden a little easier. People caught file sharing are getting a notice that they owe 10,000 Euro. I know of two people in my community that got a notice. I think at least one person got there penalty reduced to about a thousand Euro.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]At least now we know why the legal system is so corrupt... They came from the RIAA, the most sociopathic elitist cult in the nation.[/citation]

Quoted on my book face

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"These people may or may not be responsible for actually downloading the studio's movie, but apparently in some states it doesn't matter. Someone is going to pay."

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Seems the other way around when it happens to be a corporation that sues but sues the other way is always innocent until proven guilty... Strange "justice"

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]It sounds very likely IMO. Still, maybe that lobbyist was sexually harrassed or overlooked for promotions while working at RIAA until she finally quit and now she hates their guts. You never know... Lots of people hate their former employers.[/citation]
unfortunately, not that likely. Lobbying means you get paid to support a corporation's interests, but it's not like you have an office with them or something. You get very little in contact with that corp.'s daily activities/operations, it's more of a love affair (in this case, love for money) than anything else. I would like it to be the way you said, but the likelihood of it is virtually non-existent.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]well i guess this is the new way of making money when a movie sucks....look at how much money other movies make....take TITANIC for example....it's called being original[/citation]
TITANIC, original? Ha! Just a remake with modern CG.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
There is NO ONE more corrupt than the RIAA!!!!

I don't condone theft, but the issue of suing someone due to an IP address is appalling!!

You only have to look at the RIAA's tactics to know that they will use ANYTHING just to get what they want.
I take it that because they are suing 23,322 people they are claiming that they have lost 23,322 sales!!!! WAKE UP JUDGE FFS. Do you HONESTLY believe that if every one of the people being sued didn't download the movie then they would ALL have bought it legitimately???
They are also being Sued for $2,000 a piece, get real!!! If i went into HMV and stole the DVD, and got caught would i be sued for $2,000?????

What a JOKE this legal system is!!! PERIOD

It is such a corrupt world out there today!!

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
This is dumb.

They are making more money per pirated movie (That the person probably doesn't even own anymore because he deleted it directly after watching it) then they are per 200 seats they sold in each movie theater. And that's assuming that all 10$ per ticket is going to the film makers.

They can suck a massive bundle of male genetalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.