'Hurt Locker' Studio Now Suing Nearly 50K Pirates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanStang14

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if they uploaded the torrents themselves after the movie flopped, planning to sue pirates to make up what they thought the movie deserved to make

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If I were the defense lawyer, I would immediately call for the judge to be examined for impartiality. That would be an easy case to make.

On other thoughts... Capitalism is our country's greatest crime, it allows for businesses to have far too much control over peoples' daily lives. A self-governed fair-trade system would be more appropriate for any economy. However, this is just my point of view... Others certainly do disagree, and, yes, flamers, I certainly do realize this idea is somewhat idealistic, but almost anything would be better than the current situation with worthless money and predatory corporations.

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
The hurt locker was probably the worst movie these people pirated all year and from what I understand the story was stolen from uniformed soldiers on the front lines that will never see a dime of the 17m or the 95m they are suing for. The RIAA can eat a dick

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
$2000 per person? Next time I'll just steal the dvd from the store, that way I'll only have to pay a $200 fine, and the chance of getting caught is smaller as well. So yeah, good job at encouraging shoplifting!

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Movies are not worth the media they are stamped on DOWN WITH HOLLYWOOD AND THE RIAA proliferate piracy to the extent these scumbags have to shut down and run back to israel.

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
All the people who payed to see the hurtlocker when it originally came out should sue the studio because the movie sucked ass and the story was stolen from us military servicemen who will never see a dime of the money they have already brought in and the money they are suing for this right here is the reason for piracy because these tools actually think their movie was worth more then 17m dollars when in reality it is worth much less, i wouldn't pay .50 cents for the rights to the movie. BOYCOTT HOLLYWOOD they are all scum nothing but glorified prostitutes with good lawyers.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
*sigh* why are they wasting their time? Their movie got more attention than it deserved. It was mediocre at best and in fact probably benefitted from piracy in that people who did like it went online to recommend it, etc.

I think I rented it from the local Red Box for $1 and that's really all the money it was worth to me.

If they're going to be serious about lawsuits like this, they should come up with a logical dollar figure to put on the infractions. In my case, my wife and I watched it for $1. I doubt many of the people downloading it were doing so to profit off of it, or to keep in their video collection instead of buying a hard copy. Most of these are 1 view downloads.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So they keep shooting themselves in the foot. I'm no fan of Anonymous, but guess they haven't been watching what Sony has been going through.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
When the judge himself may take a stance close to the plaintiff, will this be a fair trial? This is yet another case with a stupid plaintiff who goes after the wrong parties!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]"These people may or may not be responsible for actually downloading the studio's movie, but apparently in some states it doesn't matter. Someone is going to pay."What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Seems the other way around when it happens to be a corporation that sues but sues the other way is always innocent until proven guilty... Strange "justice"[/citation]
That's what happens when corporations are given more rights and freedoms than actual people (thank you Citizens United v FEC, corperate deregulation, digital millenium copyright act, etc)

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I thought hurt locker was a good movie . Well worth the £2 it cost me to rent.

The Hypocracy is when the film industry ripps off the customers with a rubbish movie and says thats business but when the customers rip off the movie industry it's a felony.
People should band together to get refunds for rubbish movies - not just the ticket price but the time they wasted watching the movie. That would be fair.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Judge Howell resides in a district that still believes that IP addresses are tied directly to specific people.

what a dope. but you really should password protect your internet!

G

Unfortunate subscribers made victims of this who are absolutely innocent and who have nver downloaded any movie. Somebody might have accessed it using the IP provided by comcast. Comcast should not allow any hacking to their IPs and that should be their policy. Comcast should fight the case rather than dumping the innocent subscribers

Status
Not open for further replies.