kickface2

Honorable
May 21, 2013
So I recently bought the HyperX Cloud II Headset and am pretty pleased. I was wondering this one thing. I used turtle beach x12s for the longest time, which are a decent headset but the quality of this new headset seems like such a drastic change I'm going to have to get use to but I've always noticed that when I talked into my x12s I would get some type of like sound when I was talking. Like I wouldn't say I could hear myself but for example, If my microphone was muted I could tell because I would have the sound in my headset that I would get talking into my microphone when it wasn't muted. I would like to know if that was just something with that microphone or is it something I can get on this headset aswell. Without it I feel like my mic isn't picking me up even though it is. I just like kind of hearing some sort of feedback when I talk into my mic.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense and tanks for reading aswell.

Solution

EV_Creeper

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

The skullcandy SLYR also works that way, so I get what you mean. There is a way of doing it, but it's not the same. The way you can do it on Windows works like listening what the microphone hears, and playing it back into your headset. It's called "listen the microphone" If you are interested, here's how to do it
Go to Control Panel
Go to Sounds
Select the "Recording" tab, and select your current microphone
Hit the "Properties" button, and select the "Listen" or "Listening" tab - I'm not really sure of how its translated
Check the box "Listen to this device"

However I do not recomend doing this, as the volume of the microphone input is tied to the headset volume. What this mean is that when you're playing, the moment you increase the headset volume, the microphone input volume also increases . If you want the mic input down to the point where you can only hear a hiss, you will have to decrease the microphone volume, and your team mates won't be able to hear you very well. That's just my personal opinion, anyway. You might like it.

Solution

Matt Eduardo

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
I unfortunately ran into this same problem when switching to these from my old Turtle Beach PX5 and it has made my Cloud II practically unusable. The feature you are looking for is generally referred to as "side tone". From what I have been able to find, it seems that it is usually only available with wireless headsets.

Any solutions I've found are what EV_Creeper posted, and I agree that it does not achieve the proper result! The other option would be to pick up a headset with "open" headphones. These leak the game/music audio into the room, but supposedly allow enough sound in that you can hear yourself and speak at a normal volume.

Henrik123

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Yeah, the Cloud IIs are 100% perfect for recording, much better than Blue Yeti and other solutions! The only problem is the sidetone feature, which is missing for most gaming headsets for reasons only known to (insert random $70000+/yr clueless decision-maker).

It can't be fixed with software, unless you run XP and HyperX happens to support it. Because Microsoft, a global software corporation, decided sidetone was useless for everyone in the whole world from Win7 on...

Every single handset has had sidetone since time immemorial, including old gray handsets where you manually turned a disc to dial a number (check some ancient movie). Any headset you buy for your mobile phone has it.

But gaming headsets, OH, hang on a minute! Should we add it? Will anyone want to Skype with the same $120 headset they bought for gaming? Should we add it and make it an option? NOO, let's not add it at all.

There's no way to do it. You have to BUY something else. Insanity. Insert grumpy cat meme picture.

Greetings from an otherwise 100% contented Cloud II owner.

I still can't believe you have to SEARCH for a gaming headset that has sidetone. Sennheiser has a $200/220 EUR one that doesn't look to be as good otherwise as my Cloud II's. You not only have to SEARCH for them, you have to like TEST them in a store. For a basic feature. Insanity squared.

If you missed the fact that this was a rant, I will now type /rant and end with a grumpy smiley at the professional gaming headset companies. Bah. > : (

misterfancypants

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

SOOOOO TRUE!!!! I also came from the turtle beach x12's to the Hyper X Cloud's, and even though I love the quality of the Cloud's, the lack of mic monitoring being a built in feature never fails to piss me off.

The Cloud's have such good sound isolation too so it's almost impossible to talk properly without slightly shifting one of the ear cups off your ear so you can hear your own voice, which inevitably sacrifices sound quality and comfort. I use it for both my PC and PS4 and there are basically no good solutions to fix it. Kingston just really needs to add mic monitoring to the next gen of Hyper X Cloud's. If the Cloud's had built in mic monitoring from the start they would be the absolute perfect gaming headset on the market and I would never have to buy another until they broke or something. Every time I try to chat with friends I just wish they would have mic monitoring. So frickin annoying. I'm feeling compelled to go out and buy a lesser quality headset (because Clouds are the best IMO) just for mic monitoring.

Anyone have any suggestions for good headphones under $150 that have mic monitoring? And if anyone at Kingston is reading this, for Pete's sake, PLEASE put mic monitoring on every headset from now on. Thanks. Rant over.