Solved! HyperX Cloud "Surround Sound" just sounds bad.

drewalc

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I recently purchased the cloud revolver S which comes with a surround sound button. The base headset sounds fine, not an upgrade over the cloud alpha I had been using up to that point though, so the main selling point was that surround sound button. To me, when I turn it on, the sound just gets worse, its not crackling or anything like that but it just sounds worse. What exactly am I supposed to use this for? Is it just for gaming or should it sound good with music too?

Solution
Personally I have never heard a pair of surround headphones I liked. It's good for positional audio, being able to tell more accurately the distance and direction of a sound. But that's about it in my opinion.

You are used to the cloud alphas they are a dual driver (One speaker for each ear) headset based the the takstar pro 80 studio headphones. To my ear any decent dual driver studio headphone sounds far better than 7.1 headphones for things like music. Even movies or TV because of increased bass and mid range from a single large diver rather than a bunch of small drivers.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Personally I have never heard a pair of surround headphones I liked. It's good for positional audio, being able to tell more accurately the distance and direction of a sound. But that's about it in my opinion.

You are used to the cloud alphas they are a dual driver (One speaker for each ear) headset based the the takstar pro 80 studio headphones. To my ear any decent dual driver studio headphone sounds far better than 7.1 headphones for things like music. Even movies or TV because of increased bass and mid range from a single large diver rather than a bunch of small drivers.

Solution
Jan 27, 2019
I use Cloud 2's and notice a difference between the surround being turned on and off. I also think music and movies have more depth when it's turned on, but that's possibly personal preference. That being said, both of your headsets are newer than mine, so I don't know if there's significant increase in quality between my headset and yours.