I am moving from a pre built PC and I have a lot of Questions.

ineedthatspam

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017
My motherboard recently died so I decided that this was a good opportunity to change somethings around. My current pc, the one the motherboard died in, was pre built, but I have changed some of the components since I bought it. With this being said I have never actually built a pc from scratch. I want to reuse some of my current parts in my new build, such as my current CPU, GPU, and PSU. I basically just want to buy a new motherboard :p

I also decided to buy a new case since my current case has little ventilation. I am looking for a case that has the ability to add a disk drive, offers better ventilation, is aesthetically pleasing and is budget friendly. <---I am a college student after all :p

the case I am currently looking at getting is the Zalman z9 Neo. link here---https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Computer-ZM-Z9-NEO-BLACK/dp/B0196KJLXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512865973&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+z9+neo+black

The ability to add a disk drive is important to me since I still play some older games that I have disks for from time to time. I do not typically use the one in my current pc, but I would prefer to have the ability to use it if I decide to. Besides if I decide to take it out eventually the drive bays are supposed to be removable.

I have some questions that this case brings up.

1. The case comes with 5 fans all of which have molex connectors.
... -How do I connect 5 molex connectors to my computer?
... -Do they all plug into the PSU?
2. I want all my LEDs colors to match. I would prefer to have all red LEDs or none at all
... - My current CPU cooler has red LEDs
... - 2 of the fans that come with the Zalman z9 have blue LEDs
.......... - is it possible to have them not light up/ change it red LEDs?
... - The power button is also illuminated blue
.......... - is it possible to change the LED to another color such as red?
3.My PSU
... - how do I make sure all this stuff will connect to my PSU?

Solution
Regarding your original questions

1. The fans have passthrough connectors , you can daisy chain them thus they only require 1 or 2 molex connectors from the psu

2. You could 'possibly' snip the wire to the leds rendering them non-led.

3. No , the LED's are built imto the button itself - blue is the only colour.

I like the zalmans , they're good cases but their value lies in the amount of fans you get as standard.
Once you start chamging or replacing them the cases lose their value - & ALL zalman cases have blue led's prefitted in one form or another.

You wpuld be better served with maybe the Deepcool Kendomen Red

http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml

Or one of the many inwin black/red cases with optical bays...

Paul NZ

Admirable
Depends what the old mobo was. And what the CPU that was installed on it is. Whether you can use the CPU on another mobo.

If the mobo was old and you want a more recent motherboard, you'll have to buy another CPU. And maybe ram

ineedthatspam

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

My cpu is an intel core i5 3570k
mobo is ipmmb-fm (formosa)

Edit: i have not found a new motherboard, but I did not know this was something I needed to look for. How do I check if they will be compatible?

ineedthatspam

Prominent
Dec 9, 2017

I am replacing the motherboard so I need to know what motherboard will work with my current CPU :)

lots of mATX 1155 motherboards for I5-3xxx series CPU's, look for INSPIRON 660 Motherboard for example on eBay for pretty cheap.
there are other brands, here is a web site that has a listing of motherboards for you 1155 I5-3570K compatible.
I would focus on Z77 chipset motherboards to be honest to truly enjoy the power of your Unlocked (K) cpu.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5/i5-3570K_motherboards.html

re other questions you asked
1. The case comes with 5 fans all of which have molex connectors. How do I connect 5 molex connectors to my computer?
... -Do they all plug into the PSU?
well though you might want to change those fans once you have acquired your motherboard and discovered if you have a couple oif headers for fans aside the cpu_fan one, then switch (assuming you got 3 extras) 4 to 4/3pin fan connector types and connect the others to the molex connector on the PSu. (this makes it run on high speed all the time, the 4/3 pin connector on the motherboard controls the speed as needed as temperature increases or decreases.

2. I want all my LEDs colors to match. I would prefer to have all red LEDs or none at all
... - My current CPU cooler has red LEDs
2 of the fans that come with the Zalman z9 have blue LEDs, is it possible to have them not light up/ change it red LEDs?
The power button is also illuminated blue, is it possible to change the LED to another color such as red?

Led's colours (unless a RGB LED)cannot be changed easily to another colour, easier to change the fans, they come in all sorts of colours now-a-days, same applies to power button.

3.My PSU how do I make sure all this stuff will connect to my PSU?
make and model of psu, video card, motherboard, other items (aside fans)??

Regarding your original questions

1. The fans have passthrough connectors , you can daisy chain them thus they only require 1 or 2 molex connectors from the psu

2. You could 'possibly' snip the wire to the leds rendering them non-led.

3. No , the LED's are built imto the button itself - blue is the only colour.

I like the zalmans , they're good cases but their value lies in the amount of fans you get as standard.
Once you start chamging or replacing them the cases lose their value - & ALL zalman cases have blue led's prefitted in one form or another.

You wpuld be better served with maybe the Deepcool Kendomen Red

http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2015-02/9_1721.shtml

Or one of the many inwin black/red cases with optical bays

Your board ?? You will be buying second hand foe anything half decent - steer clear if oem biards from dell, hp, lenovo etc - many are non upgradeable gpu wise or have proprietary connections to cases & psu's.

What country are you in ??

Solution