I am trying to connect an old DVD/VHS player directly to my newer Samsung smart tv.

carcok8358

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
I have several connectors. One has green, red & blue male connectors and the other has red, white and yellow male connectors. I can get video to work by using the green, red and blue connectors but unable to get any audio. Any suggestions? Do I need both of these connectors? They were previously on the dvd player when I was going through the satellite box. But I have moved them around so many times, I don't know what goes where. Help!!

Solution
If your TV has component video inputs (Red Green Blue RCA jacks) then it will have an additional two RCA jacks for audio (Red, White). On some TVs these are shared by the composite and component video connections. Add this connection for audio and it will work.
You may not get the VCR to output through the component video connection. If so use composite (yellow RCA) instead. That usually works for both VCR and DVD.
If the TV component and composite connections are one input these then you will have to go into the TV menu and select composite video.
OK guy, you can't just go by color alone, I wish it was this easy.

Sounds like DVD/VHS has COMPONENT OUT, this is a 5 cable connection, 3 for video, 2 for audio. If you have such input on your TV, ur golden, consult manual search for COMPONENT.

If TV has no component then you need to buy a COMPONENT TO HDMI converter, maybe cheaper(?) to replace that DVD player unless you have a VHS collection.

If your TV has component video inputs (Red Green Blue RCA jacks) then it will have an additional two RCA jacks for audio (Red, White). On some TVs these are shared by the composite and component video connections. Add this connection for audio and it will work.
You may not get the VCR to output through the component video connection. If so use composite (yellow RCA) instead. That usually works for both VCR and DVD.
If the TV component and composite connections are one input these then you will have to go into the TV menu and select composite video.

Solution