I boke a very small coponent on my ASUS ux31e motherboard, now it's not turning on. Only power and caps lock led

Solution
It looks like a dual "zero ohm resistor" pack - essentially two wire links side-by-side in a surface-mount package. It may be the cause, if either one of the links has gone open circuit or the two are shorted together. It can be replaced, but you'll need to be either very handy with a small conventional soldering iron or have a hot-air SMT rework soldering iron. Once you've desoldered it and cleaned up the board, you could simply bridge across each of the links with small pieces of thin wire.

You may well find that the system still doesn't work, though - laptop system boards are very delicate multi-layer boards which are very sensitive to electrostatic discharge and electrical faults (the same applies to desktop boards, but laptops are...

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
It looks like a dual "zero ohm resistor" pack - essentially two wire links side-by-side in a surface-mount package. It may be the cause, if either one of the links has gone open circuit or the two are shorted together. It can be replaced, but you'll need to be either very handy with a small conventional soldering iron or have a hot-air SMT rework soldering iron. Once you've desoldered it and cleaned up the board, you could simply bridge across each of the links with small pieces of thin wire.

You may well find that the system still doesn't work, though - laptop system boards are very delicate multi-layer boards which are very sensitive to electrostatic discharge and electrical faults (the same applies to desktop boards, but laptops are even more so) and it may have been damaged elsewhere either by the broken component or by the obvious mechanical struggle to remove a screw which was, presumably, the cause of the breakage. (Actually, I'd go so far as to say that it almost certainly won't work, even after replacing the component.)

You might be able to pick up a replacement system board on eBay at a reasonable cost.

Stephen

Solution