I cannot get Java to run for anything. no browsers, or programs that run on java such as Minecraft

fantom42

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
I have recently upgraded my computer to windows 10 and since the upgrade i cannot get Java to run at all. i first noticed the issue when trying to get Minecraft running with mods but after hours of troubleshooting have realized that i cannot get any java functions or tests to run, I have tried the java test pages provided by the java website on both internet explorer and Firefox. I have tried installing both java 7, 8 and both in 32 and 64 bit versions, individually and several combinations between them. I have uninstalled, reinstalled with restarting the computer at different points throughout the process. I have run out of ideas to make it work. If anybody has any ideas that i can try to make it work please let me know.

Den Watsons

Estimable
May 26, 2015
Updated java recently won't allow a lot of plugins function.
Try to install an older version of it, even if it ask to update don't do that.
Concerning the browsers Java is no longer supported by Chrome, try Mozilla or any other.
Hope this help.

fantom42

Estimable
Aug 21, 2015
Neither Mozilla or Internet explorer are working, and also i tried 3 different builds each for java 6, 7, and 8 and all of then give me the same problems. another forum was able to point out a line in the crash report for the game and provided a solution to make it work for the game. "Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: connect" and it turns out it is trying to use IPv6 instead of IPv4 and gave me a line force java to use IPv4 for the game. But no solution for why java is trying to use IPv6. does anyone know why it would use IPv6 instead of IPv4, or how to fix it so that it doesn't default to IPv6.