I contacted Sprint and got the unlock code for my phones. I didn't realize it was that easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzonald

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
After reading existing posts I contacted Sprint and received the unlock code for my iPhone 5c's. I always thought there was more to unlocking a phone.

DwHix

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015

I called them today for 3 of my iPhone 5 phones. After a lot of discussion about why I wanted to leave Sprint she provided me "domestic" unlock codes but told me they would not work on any US network. According to Sprint's information on their legal site she is right. http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html Look at the 2nd paragraph in the top section “Unlock your Sprint device” and the 5th paragraph under the “Unlocking FAQs”. I’m so frustrated with the hassle and finger pointing from Sprint. After the law passed last summer I'm not sure how they can make their software where it stops the phone from working on another network? The are basically spinning the law language and saying that “Sprint has no technological process available to do this”! Well come UP WITH A PROCESS SPRINT!!! I’m hating them more by the minute.
According to Apple today they say they have nothing to do with it and it is totally up to Sprint. Sprints says it is the way their phones were manufactured to work for them by Apple. I do not know what the truth is and don't know how to find out unless I just go buy a SIM card from TMO, ATT or VZ and try it. Did your unlock code work? Can anyone verify it works if you put the Sprint unlock code into a iPhone 5 from Sprint to use on another network? Is this all just BS to keep you from leaving Sprint? Any help to verify is appreciated?

Rzonald

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015
I initially was asking about the same thing. We bought2 iPhone 5c's and couldn't get approved for enough lines (wanted 5 lines), but my daughter was moving the service to virgin because they also don't use sim cards. That was the only provider that it was able to work on to my knowledge.

DwHix

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
In my opinion it is all a sham on SPRINT's part. They finally give you a MSL code to get you off the phone but it is SPRINT's own internal policy that keeps them from contacting Apple to actually unlock the phone. So you meet all of their criteria and they will give you a code. That makes it look like to the press and FCC they are complying voluntarily but actually refuse to let Apple unlock your iPhone for domestic use. I personally believe that they can give Apple your IMEI and allow Apple to unlock it in your iTunes profile. The next time you sync to iTunes your phone would be unlocked. The MSL code is worthless. The reason I believe this is how it would work is that no competing carrier can enter the 6 digit code on your iPhone screen. AND probably most important the method I just described above with Apple placing the unlock into iTunes is EXACTLY THE WAY SPRINT DOES IT WHEN YOU NEED AN INTERNATIONAL UNLOCK to use it in Europe!!!! They have instructed Apple to only allow it to unlock for foreign carriers yet they say on their legal page...http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html "Sprint has no technological process available to do this" while they appear to by complying with the FCC directive. I just REALLY love this statement on the legal page referenced above "Even if unlocked, Sprint devices will not necessarily work on another carrier's network." NO THEY WON'T WORK BECAUSE SPRINT WON'T LET THEM WORK!!! How stupid do they think American customers are? I guess pretty stupid since they are getting away with it. I now OFFICIALLY HATE SPRINT... Do not be deceived people.

DwHix

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
one of the happiest days of my life was when I finally left Sprint and stopped arguing with them about the fact that they can, but WILL NOT unlock my (3) iPhone 5s. I bit the bullet and bought 3 new phones and those are rendered useless (for now). I noticed they updated the "Official Policy" on 2/11/15 to reflect the new (now in place) FCC / CTIA policy to unlock phones going forward. They changed much of their misleading (LIES) language and simply say they will do it going forward on a phone purchased after that date.

It used to say something like "we may not be technically capable of unlocking all phones" or "Sprint has no technological process available to do this." and then there was a bunch of "facts" listed on the site to provide excuses that they didn't want to do it in order to hold customers hostage. Now it just says "Generally, if you have a device that was launched prior to February 2015 and it is capable of being unlocked, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to have your device unlocked. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can assist in efforts to unlock your device. (WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. YOU BELIEVE THEY WILL PUT THAT ON YOUR BILL NOTIFICATION? YEAH AND YOU CAN KEEP YOUR DOCTOR!) then it says...
For domestic SIM unlockable ("DSU") devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible. "This policy is subject to change without notice at Sprint's discretion. Updated 2/11/2015."

So for me, even at "cutting my bill in half" (and in the fine print you have to turn in your old phone to them and buy a new phone!!!) I would NEVER user Sprint again at any price. BOTTOM LINE: JUST DON'T DO IT, DON'T EVER TRUST SPRINT, EVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER AGAIN. Anyone want to buy 3 iPhone 5s like new that can only be used on Sprint? haha, I could never recommend Sprint. Did I say never enough times?

DEATHPROOFBUM

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Hello Dwhix, I have read of your frustration with your carrier. I'm from the UK but I think the following still applies, I don't know how much you know but incase your somehow unaware but the unlock code is just a four or so digit number that can be applied by a third party who has access to the code and as far as i'am aware the situation in the UK is if you buy or unlock the phone yourself this should give you access to any network. How truthful it is that your phone may not work if still unlocked as mentioned by Sprint I don't know, but can get them unlocked for as little as £3. I have an app on my Android phone that sells unlock codes on all manner of devices, like I mentioned I don't know your full situation and hope I haven't come over as patronising and stating the obvious.

rich3579

Estimable
May 4, 2015

rich3579

Estimable
May 4, 2015
I have the Sprint MSL code but share the same frustration with Sprint as Dwhix. I was interested in your answer, which seemed to involve getting the MSL code rather than using it. Now that I have it, what do I do with it. I want to unlock the IPhone5 myself and then take it to the new carrier (Verizon) to make it work on their system. Verizon, for their part, will have nothing to do with it and denies any knowledge of MSL codes. Is it easy to use? On what screen do I input the code, or is it done with a carrier's computer?

Sorry to ask you, a UK citizen, about a US problem, but you seem to know what you are talking about.

DEATHPROOFBUM

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Hello Rich, i'am happy to hear you managed to get the code, you don't need a computer for this simple action. I cannot remember with 100% accuracy as it's well over a year since I performed this action and don't own a iPhone any more, but can tell you with 100% accuracy that you can do it yourself. I will try to guide you the best I can but if this doesn't work for you I will borrow one and accurately retrace may own steps for you and update you. As I can recall you go into settings > networks > like I said I cannot fully recall from memory but all you are looking for in settings is to be be presented with a small screen to appear and your keyboard to come up once you have come across the appropriate function for this. It will ask you for the unlock code and once you imput the code you have access to any network, it's that simple. Play around in your settings as I mentioned performing different action's it will just take you a bit more time and patience as I'm sorry I can't be a bit more accurate at this moment in time but will give you further help if the need be. You can do it yourself though trust me, all the best.

rich3579

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Thank you so much for your answer. You must be up late. My son lives in Reading, so I'm aware of the time difference.

There is no "settings>networks> xxx" on my IPhone 4. The IPhone 5 that is the subject of my inquiry has no sim card, so I am unable even to turn on the phone. Perhaps it, if I were able to turn it on, would have settings>networks. In any case, you give me hope. All the threads in all the Tech Community sites I have visited say that Sprint is the Evil Empire and that I have no hope of unlocking the phone for domestic (ie US) use. I did call Sprint's International division and was told, after they got the MEID#, that the phone would be unlocked for International (ie UK, AU, etc) use if five business days. We will see.

This is much more than you volunteered for. Thank you. If, in you wanderings, you happen to discover any more about this I would be grateful in your sharing.

Best,

Richard

DEATHPROOFBUM

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Hello again, Rich, I'm sorry that the information I have given you is of no help to you. The situation is indeed different to here, and I feel sorry for the dilemma you and many other's in the US are in regarding phone locking. It is disappointing to hear how your carrier's behave to put it nicely, and it would seem passing a law and the enforcement of it have a long way to go, but eventually everyone votes with their pocket and I hope this hurts Sprint in the long run.I will still look into this myself further as I'm like a dog with a bone,and if I find anything that may be of use to you I will post it here and that's a promise. Ps, all iPhone's here have nano simcards even carrier's phone's, so sorry again if I built your hopes up but I reckon the majority of people here are unaware of that fact as well. All the best to you and our Us cousins, Jay.

luigibottle

Estimable
May 14, 2015

after you got your unlocking code how did you go about unlocking your phone. they gave me my unlocking code but i am unsure as to how to use it

echakra

Estimable
Jul 11, 2015
Hi Rzonald

I too have a 5s locked to sprint. Can you tell me what unlocking code was provided and what did you ask sprint? They have given me an MSL Code and I do not know how to unlock the gsm using MSL code. Can someone guide me on this ?

Many thanks
Chakra

stormoverparis

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
Wait- So if Sprint said my phone is unlocked by backing up my phone in itunes and restoring it, does that mean i should be able to use another country's sim card? specifically a south korean one-

Trakeisha

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
Can you give me that unlock msl code. Sprint will not give it to me claiming I owe but I left wen my contract was up, I think this is their new way of not giving out the code

wickster14

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
the msl code is worthless for an iPhone. sprint will tell you to take it to your new carrier and they will know what to do. that is not true. i called sprint and asked them to explain how this number gets entered into my iPhone? they haven't a clue. that is a fact. i was told that apple puts software on the phone for sprint which locks it to sprint. apple told me that sprint puts the software on their phones. apple also stated that the verizon iPhones 4s/5 are the same exact phones hardware wise. the cell phone code does state that if your contract was met and left in good standing they have to unlock it for local use. you do not need be a sprint customer and your phone does not need to be active.

pboulwar

Estimable
Aug 9, 2015
Rzonald,
I am glad that it worked out for you. Unfortunately, this week my husband and I discovered the negative side of Sprint's unlock policy. They refused to unlock our iPhone 5's. These are phones that we bought directly from Apple with no assistance from Sprint. And we are long beyond our original two-year contract with Sprint. Because of Sprint's internal unlock policy, these phones are now useless to us. Again, happy that it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.