Solved! I fix local comps often (precovid), never saw this before. Help?

izicmirza

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Ok I really need some help. I just purchased an Acer Predator PH315-51 because the guy was selling it for $400 on craigslist. 144hz refresh, 256nvme m2 drive plus 1gb ssd data drive internal, 6gb vid ram (1060 gtx), not 100% sure on rest of specs. i7-8750 hexacore...etc.

Cliffs of the situation:
-I have reformated MANY computers, so this is not new to me.
-I have win10 as a bootable flash-drive.
-Upon entering bios, the ONLY boot option is Ubuntu Mint. The DEVICE is named Ubuntu Mint. No USB, no HDD, SSD, NVME, No disc, anything. Literally 0 other
devices.

https://ibb.co/74W5VhF

I have made all possible settings changes in bios to allow me access to boot from this drive but it seems like he flashed the bios.

This is particularly frustrating because its easy to flash some random bios firmware you find online on a laptop, but finding the original firmware is almost impossible.

This is the driver page:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/conten...oduct/7603?b=1

They only have updates for the bios. But not the original bios so I can flash it to fix this issue.

Any suggestions? Will take you out to drink if you come through NC (post covid).

Solution
I've been fixing PCs for my living over eighteen years. One of the first jobs I did got stuck me with a Asus EeePC running XP because the owner couldn't pay for the work. A year went by and never heard from him since. I still have it and it runs Mint19 which I use early in the morning to work on Tom's. Weird coimcidence.

My best shot is to let it go on to see if it boots Mint instead of trying to change the BIOS. If that fails, it's a matter for removing the hard disk and slave it to another machine.

Format it in NTFS and do it again to make sure the Linux leftovers have gone.

Have that drink on me. I'm in England .
I've been fixing PCs for my living over eighteen years. One of the first jobs I did got stuck me with a Asus EeePC running XP because the owner couldn't pay for the work. A year went by and never heard from him since. I still have it and it runs Mint19 which I use early in the morning to work on Tom's. Weird coimcidence.

My best shot is to let it go on to see if it boots Mint instead of trying to change the BIOS. If that fails, it's a matter for removing the hard disk and slave it to another machine.

Reactions: izicmirza
Solution

izicmirza

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

Thank you very much. I remember my old Asus EeePC. Loved that thing at the time. Will do my friend, cheers!