I have a cable HD box, I pay for 1080, but I am only getting 480i?

wpbjoe

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I don't know if it has anything to do with the electrical interruptions we often get her in Florida, but my 1080 HD system is only giving me 480i ?

Solution
you should list your equipment, settings and how you have everything hooked up as well as what you've tried already.

electrical interruptions have nothing to do with not getting 1080 content

i should note however that even if you pay for 1080 content on cable not all channels are 1080. some channels may be 480i (or otherwise not HD). normally they have extra channels added for HD content. also note that not all shows were filmed in hd.
you should list your equipment, settings and how you have everything hooked up as well as what you've tried already.

electrical interruptions have nothing to do with not getting 1080 content

i should note however that even if you pay for 1080 content on cable not all channels are 1080. some channels may be 480i (or otherwise not HD). normally they have extra channels added for HD content. also note that not all shows were filmed in hd.

Solution
^+1

To my knowledge, there is no 1080p content being broadcast. My cable subscription includes HD channels. I have three sets of most every channel, SD, and two HD channel sets (which I presume are 720p and 1080i). Not all channels exist in all three channel sets and not all programming aired on the HD channels are actually in HD.

-Wolf sends

wpbjoe

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

wpbjoe

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
problem is that I HAVE received 1080 resolution with the box & set I am still using. There's a screen that I believe starts with the heading "user settings" is begins with screen aspect, then has to do with closed capture options....now's here the main thing about this page, AT THE VERY BOTTOM THERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR GETTING BACK TO HD BASICS.....IT SAYS TO SHUT OFF BOX...THEN PRESS 2 BUTTONS AT THE SAME TIME (ON THE BOX)
PROBLEM IS THAT MY BOX DOESN'T HAVE BOTH THOSE BUTTONS LISTED. I was on the phone yesterday with Comcast for about an hour, neither of the 2 reps could solve my issue.

wpbjoe

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

problem is that I HAVE received 1080 resolution with the box & set I am still using. There's a screen that I believe starts with the heading "user settings" is begins with screen aspect, then has to do with closed capture options....now's here the main thing about this page, AT THE VERY BOTTOM THERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS FOR GETTING BACK TO HD BASICS.....IT SAYS TO SHUT OFF BOX...THEN PRESS 2 BUTTONS AT THE SAME TIME (ON THE BOX)
PROBLEM IS THAT MY BOX DOESN'T HAVE BOTH THOSE BUTTONS LISTED. I was on the phone yesterday with Comcast for about an hour, neither of the 2 reps could solve my issue.

I would suggest that you check out the website or call the manufacturer of the cable box itself rather than the cable company. You are trying to get into the setup menu so that your box can be set to output 1080i or 720p. You should be able to find instructions on how to do this on your model of box.