i have a hp pavilion DV61354US 15.6 Inch 1135tx Laptop and want to upgrade my cpu

TheCrystalBlaze

Prominent
May 1, 2017
my chip-set is 4 the computer is from 09 so i don't know if i'm able to upgrade my CPU
i have a chip-set 4 Intel core 2 duo t6600

robert600

Distinguished
I would say an upgrade looks very promising. Here’s the thing though, even though the socket holding your cpu accepts better cpus …. There is no way to guaranty that your bios/motherboard would support them. Having said that I’ve upgraded loads of laptop cpus and never encountered this problem so I’m optimistic you’d be ok. Don’t sue me if they don’t work though lol. They all have the same wattage (35) as your cpu so overheating should not be an issue and all are Core 2 Duo. For pricing, I’m assuming you are in the U.S.

Your cpu …T6600 … 2.20 ghz … 2 mb L2 cache

Option 1 …T9600 … 2.80 ghz … 6 mb L2 cache … (on ebay for $11)

Option 2 …T9800 … 2.93 ghz … 6 mb L2 cache … (on ebay for $25)

Option 3 …T9900 … 3.06 ghz … 6 mb L2 cache … (on ebay for $48)

I think if it were me, I’d go for option 1. It’s noticeably better than what you have and not too far off the other 2. I would think that at that price it wouldn’t be the end of the world if the cpu turned out to be not supported by your system. Even if you had to put your old processor back in, you would have a spotlessly clean cooling system and fresh thermal paste for your efforts. Are you doing the work yourself? Let me know what you think.

robert600

Distinguished
Those processors i suggested were based on the socket type of your current processor - not on the model number of the computer so ... they still apply. Like I mentioned, although these processors fit in the socket ... I have no idea how to tell if the bios/motherboard will support them. I can say that I have upgraded the cpus on several HP G6 (even to the point of replacing dual core cpus (35 watt) with quad core (45 watt)) and have yet to have a problem. The processors I suggested are very closely matched to your current one (except they're much faster) so I am very optimistic that they would work.

What operating system are you using ... Win7?

robert600

Distinguished
Actually .... if you're a gambler - there are a few quad core processors that fit that socket - they would probably more expensive though and .... they are 45 watt in contrast to the 35 watt processor you currently have. That means they would generate more heat ... and your cooling system would have to deal with that. Most folks would recommend that you NOT do this but i do it a lot and ... so far so good.

Really I still think option1 is a good choice ... $11 and some thermal paste!

What is it you want this laptop to do?

TheCrystalBlaze

Prominent
May 1, 2017

thank you for replying quickly i do play games on it but i want to play more demanding and or get better fps and yes i do use windows 7 i thank u very much for helping me

robert600

Distinguished
I don't play games on computer very much so can't advise you too much about that . I'm sure a quicker processor would help though. i was looking at the specs of your laptop ... it looks quite alright for an 09 model. Nice that it has hdmi out. In my mind it is well worth upgrading it a bit. Does it still have 4 GB of ram or have you improved that a little?

One thing you could do right now - if you haven't already ... change your power plan to 'high performance' - that might help a bit.

TheCrystalBlaze

Prominent
May 1, 2017
i have changed my power plan to high performance i have not changed the ram at all because i do not have the right tool to open at the moment i got this pc for a steal 95 usd so thank you for the hep

TheCrystalBlaze

Prominent
May 1, 2017
OK so I don't know if this is considered necroposting but I need help what quad core CPU will fit my socket that is over 2.5 ghz and under 20 USD and instructions of how to install it on this would be appreciated