Solved! I have an Acer V5. My password is 9 characters. The password box/keyboard only lets me type in 7 characters. As such, I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjs16001

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
My Keyboard on my Acer Aspire V5 stopped working. I fixed that issue. Now, when I go to type in my 9 character (letters, not numbers) it only allows me to type in 7 characters of the 9. Therefore, I cannot log into my computer. I have tried rebooting, etc. but it does not work. What is strange is that I can type in more than 9 numbers and they all register in the password box. As the password character show up like this (**********), I cannot tell if the computer is registering the right letters in my password. Interesting that the password block accepts more than 9 number characters but not more than 7 letter characters. How do I fix?

Solution
It depends on the version of windows you have. On my win7 machine there is a button in the lower left just above where the start button would be. If I hit that I can bring up the on screen keyboard that way. You didn't list which version you have so I can't tell you exactly. Look it up online and try it.

wjs16001

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017

Yes, and also the fact that when I type in my 9 character password (and only 7 of the "*" show up, it still tells me that my password is not valid. As I cannot get past the password log in screen, I do not know if the keyboard is typing the correct letters. I tried attaching a remote keyboard (via usb) and typing in my password and it did the same thing (only showed 7 of the 9 "*"'s and then told me that the password was incorrect. Any other suggestions??

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
You said you replaced the keyboard and my first thought is the one you replaced it with isn't registering all the key press events. If you look at the * as they show up on the screen I'd bet you find that it's not seeing two of the characters that are in a line going down. edc or rfv for example. But then you said you tried an external keyboard over USB and you had the same problem. So now I'm not sure what the problem is. What if you use the on screen keyboard?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
It depends on the version of windows you have. On my win7 machine there is a button in the lower left just above where the start button would be. If I hit that I can bring up the on screen keyboard that way. You didn't list which version you have so I can't tell you exactly. Look it up online and try it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.