I have an old sharp surround system with 5speakers .it also has an optical out port my lg TV has an optical out I bought an ra

Apr 29, 2018
I have an old sharp hi-fi system but it does have optical out same as of TV I bought a converter rac to optical centre and side speakers work but no sound from the 2surround speakers this is driving me nuts any help would be gratefully appreciated. Ps when I do a sound check on hi-fi all speakers are working

Solution
Without model numbers we can know what connections you have.
If the Sharp has an optical "input" then why can't you connect the optical output of the TV to it directly. No DAC needed.
You would need to set the TV audio output to Bitstream.
If the Sharp doesn't have optical input then you are sending stereo to it. You will need to select a surround sound mode that will derive surround sound from that. It won't be a good a digital surround sound.
The rears won't play all the time even with surround sound content. On a lot of stuff they won't play at all.
Without model numbers we can know what connections you have.
If the Sharp has an optical "input" then why can't you connect the optical output of the TV to it directly. No DAC needed.
You would need to set the TV audio output to Bitstream.
If the Sharp doesn't have optical input then you are sending stereo to it. You will need to select a surround sound mode that will derive surround sound from that. It won't be a good a digital surround sound.
The rears won't play all the time even with surround sound content. On a lot of stuff they won't play at all.

Solution
Apr 29, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from wc010a4938 : "answer to reply"

thanks for replying to my question. the opticals are both outs tv is an lg model nn-sd271s the hifi system is a sharp cd-pc651h