I have an older blu ray player and I'm trying to hook it up to my Roku TV. What do I need to do?

Isaiah_26

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
The chords I have are the older HDMI with the red, white, and yellow. On the back of my roku there are only spots for white and red. I also need to find out what setting to put the TV on.

Solution
The older cord you described sounds like an analog audio/video cable, not an HDMI cable. They are different things, and you need an HDMI cable.

If you don't have a friend with an extra HDMI cable, I'd suggest ordering something like a basic 6-foot long HDMI A Male to A Male Cable. I've seen one online for about $7.00 plus shipping.

henryf123

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
The older cord you described sounds like an analog audio/video cable, not an HDMI cable. They are different things, and you need an HDMI cable.

If you don't have a friend with an extra HDMI cable, I'd suggest ordering something like a basic 6-foot long HDMI A Male to A Male Cable. I've seen one online for about $7.00 plus shipping.

Solution

henryf123

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Let me try to clarify this. I also think the red and white connectors on the Roku TV are most likely RCA-style connectors for stereo analog-audio output. They might be used to connect something like an amplified sound bar to the TV, to get better home-theater sound.

The Blu-ray player's analog audio outputs should not be connected to the TV's analog audio outputs; that would be like two people talking at the same time and no one listening.

The Roku TV, being a type of "smart" digital TV, should have several HDMI inputs. Isaiah should connect one of the TV's HDMI inputs to his Blu-ray player's HDMI output. If it's not obvious, Isaiah can use his TV's user manual to find where the HDMI inputs are located.