I have multiple tabs opening themselves in Chrome and Firefox, on two different laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlgun

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have multiple tabs opening themselves in Chrome and Firefox, on two different laptops. Many of the tabs are the same.

This started while using Chrome on my HP/Windows 7. When I switched to Firefox, I no longer had the problem on this computer. But, when I switched from Chrome to Firefox on my Lenova/Windows 8, the problem started back up again after a few days.

Avast did find and quarantine this, on my HP, during a bootscan - JAVA:CVE-2012-1723-ABY[Expl]. SAS found and deleted only 'tracking cookies'.

Avast did not find anything on the Lenova.

Both laptops say that Windows Defender is turned off due to a setting in a group policy, which I can't find anything about or any way to turn it back on, in either computer.

Would appreciate help from anyone that is familiar with this issue and knows a fix for it.

Solution
Sorry about that. In that case, the Group Policy settings should be in Control Panel>Administrative Tools.

I think it would alsobe worth opening up the system to show all the hidden files, including system files and folders, then go into c:\users\{yourname}\AppDate and look carefully in all three sub-folders for anything you don't recognise as a programme you want to keep. Then do the same in the AllUsers folders.
First off, you would have to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware, good as it is, and Avast if you want to turn Defender back on then check that the Windows Firewall is working on both laptops.

You're better off with Firefox because every tab you open in Chrome starts another instance of the programme. Check Task Manager when you've opened a few tabs and you can see how many Chrome entries are there taking up resources.

So ditch Chrome and in the Firefox URL bar, type about:config then press Enter. Accept the "Here be dragons" warning and once you're in, search for "extensions". Personally I would delete all of them or simply overwrite them but you must choose for yourself.

AdBlock might help you part way to getting rid of trackers but they're acceoting money to ignore some stuff now so uBlockOrigin and Ghostery are your best friends of you don't want to be tracked.

Arran Juty

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015

Possible something dodgy with your account. Maybe a plugin or something not sure sorry.

earlgun

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Saga Lout, thank you for the responce. Life things required my attention and I wasn't able to get back to this computer stuff right away.

I did uninstall Chrome on my HP and have been using Firefox. Chrome did have some big numbers in Task Mang! Firefox does as well, but, doesn't seem as bad. So far, no tabs opening themselves on HP.

I then moved on to checking out my extensions in Firefox. Some are default and some are user set. There are quite a few of them, many extensions would be more accurate. I have no idea how to overwrite them. So, I can delete all extensions and Firefox will still function?

Seems like I remember being able to use Defender along with SAS and Avast in the past, as long as I used Windows Firewall. Once I get Defender turned back on, can I then re-install SAS and Avast?

Where do I find those 'group policy' settings? Is there such a thing?

I do plan to check out those tracker solutions.

Thank you for your time, I 'preciate the help.

earlgun

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Arran Juty, thank you for the responce. Since the issue is on two computers, I considered the account causing some hinky stuff. I couldn't find any help in the Google solutions and finally got tired of reading about everyone else's issues.

Possible something dodgy with your account. Maybe a plugin or something not sure sorry.[/quotemsg]

SAS would probably disable Defender on reinstallation.

Group Policy editing in Windows 10 Home requires a download I can't recommend because I haven't had a need to try it. Here's a link to the download and when it's installed, press the Windows key and R together and type in gpedit.msc then hit Enter. https://www.itechtics.com/?ddownload=18248

earlgun

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Saga Lout,

I don't have Windows 10. My HP has Windows 7. Thanks for the info on SAS and Defender.

Sorry about that. In that case, the Group Policy settings should be in Control Panel>Administrative Tools.

I think it would alsobe worth opening up the system to show all the hidden files, including system files and folders, then go into c:\users\{yourname}\AppDate and look carefully in all three sub-folders for anything you don't recognise as a programme you want to keep. Then do the same in the AllUsers folders.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.