I have to reset (unplug, replug) CMOS every time I startup my laptop otherwise it won't power on. HELP!

mfradu123

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
It all started with a problem at the fan. It started making very loud and unusual sounds and the laptop started overheating a lot. I had over 100°C temps and super lag in games(also 80°C when idle). I decided to disassamble the laptop and fix the fan/clean up the laptop. I managed to fix the fan, got every particle of dust out of the laptop, even took out the motherboard and the heat pipes so i could apply some therm paste on the cpu and gpu. Only when I assambled it again, it wouldn't power on again. I tried many many things from the internte and finally... i stumbled upon a forum about removing the CMOS battery and pluging it back (also the 30 seconds static discharge). It worked, i was happy the laptop got into windows again, tho i felt something was strage. Only then i realized that the "Asus" logo followed by the bios startup messages were skipped and the laptop logged it straignt into Windows. I shut down my laptop to see if it would happen again. But the laptop wouldnt power on again. I opened the case again and repeated the CMOS techique. And apparently now i have to do this every single time when i want to use my laptop, and every time, it skips the bios messages on start up. I also noticed some delay sometimes on my wireless keyboard. Tomorrow ill buy a new battery to see if it changes anything.

Do you think that will fix it? Could it me a faulty motherboard?

PS: The overheating problem is over at least. I get 30-35 degrees on idle, and about 70-85 in games.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
I am glad to hear it has at least powers on and shows some life and usability because the other threads I have read when people who have risked this themselves never saw the laptop power on again. There may be a small short on the board that in the sense seating of the motherboard needs to be checked again but I would go with your method of replacing the cmos battery first with a new one before full disassemble of the motherboard.

If the cmos replacement fails to fix it then open up the laptop but first use a magnifying glass and check if the gpu is properly soldered to the motherboard and as well as the cpu (unless cpu is like a desktop and removable) . There may be small hairline cracks causing intermittent power issues. Also try removing the ram and replacing it.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
I am glad to hear it has at least powers on and shows some life and usability because the other threads I have read when people who have risked this themselves never saw the laptop power on again. There may be a small short on the board that in the sense seating of the motherboard needs to be checked again but I would go with your method of replacing the cmos battery first with a new one before full disassemble of the motherboard.

If the cmos replacement fails to fix it then open up the laptop but first use a magnifying glass and check if the gpu is properly soldered to the motherboard and as well as the cpu (unless cpu is like a desktop and removable) . There may be small hairline cracks causing intermittent power issues. Also try removing the ram and replacing it.

mfradu123

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Sorry I have been away for the holiday but yes, it does power on every time i removed the cmos. I was in a bit of a hurry and needed the laptop a lot for 3 days and had no time to send it to an analysis at a computer shop. Because i needed it i kinda avoided disassembling the laptop every time, by dragging two cables from the cmos port on the motherboard outside the laptop and i was easily able to link the cables to the battery and deatatch them every time i needed to work. Now that i decided building a pc in like 3 months, i was woundering if the little trick with the cables i made puts the laptop in any danger of frying the board or can it be used like this for the remaining months.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
johnyw Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
Skhaloo Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 0
TiffEspo80 Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 0
LaniAngelThrowAway Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1