I just purchased a Sony TV Bravio, I've been trying to hook up my Samsung sound bar and I've plugged in the white and red cabl

Solution
I believe from what I looked up earlier, your soundbar supports Digital audio, and the TV (if that's your model) supports Digital audio out, in which case you would just need that digital toslink cable I linked (just make sure it's long enough). Just confirm the TV does indeed have Digital Audio Out, and that the Soundbar has Digital Audio In.

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

My Samsung sound bar is a HW-J355 with subwoofer. The TV is A Sony Bravio.

dudio

Admirable
You may have to go into the TV options and disable the TV speakers so it only uses your external solution.
Also, if the TV has Digital audio out, it would be a better source than using the red/white analog RCA cables. The speaker supports Digital audio in.

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I did go into the tv options, went to speakers and turned off the tv speakers, and it still didn't work. I'm really a little confused about the digital audio out. On the bar it only has a insert to insert a small cable. Would I need to purchase a different cable?

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
The tv is a Sony 49" Class 48.5 Diag Led 2160P Smart 4K Ultra HD TV High Dynamic Range.

On the back of the tv is a what and black input that indicates is for the sound There's really no other places to put the cables too. It's actually really strange that the new TV's don't have so many cables like the old TV's

dudio

Admirable

Newer TV's have mostly dropped Analog connections.
I still don't know what model TV it is, just the specs that you've given.
If you go into the menu/options, there should be a sub menu that tells you about your TV.
Let us know the Model# so I can see what outputs it has.

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

dudio

Admirable
Let me know so I can be sure.
I suspect you have an XBR49X700D, and if that's the case, and you are connection to the red/white RCA connectors at the very rear of the TV, then that would be a problem as they are Inputs (not outputs) and are part of the inputs used for Component connection.

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

KathyMM

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
So if that's the model number, would that mean that my Samsung sound bar isn't compatible? Since there are no other cables that would fit the sound bar.

dudio

Admirable
I believe from what I looked up earlier, your soundbar supports Digital audio, and the TV (if that's your model) supports Digital audio out, in which case you would just need that digital toslink cable I linked (just make sure it's long enough). Just confirm the TV does indeed have Digital Audio Out, and that the Soundbar has Digital Audio In.

Solution
Feb 12, 2018

Hi have you seen a place for a optical cord. Which has only nothing to do with audio. ???? But that's what I have on my Samsung. Works. Great with some off brand sound bar . Clear cord with red light at tip. If you do have a place for optical cord you'll see it next to the white and red plug-ins and you'll see a red light inside there and that means you need an optical cord and it will run great I know nothing about hooking up speakers I just know when I got my TV and my sound box that that's what they told me to get and I never seen anything like it it lights up at the tips red it's got a weird little plug-in K good luck