I made a mistake choosing 4K, help me choose a 1080p video camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

zijin_cheng

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Long story short, I've been trying to upgrade my video quality for a long time, and I always thought the only road was upping to 4k.

However, my friend who's a film major told me that all I need is a high bitrate "good" 1080p camera, and I realized that's correct, I don't need 4k.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfySSktrYJA"][/video]
Watch the video above in 1080p. That is what I’m aiming for with buying this new camera. Ideally, I would like to buy a camera that can output 1080p video with that kind of crispiness.

I've saved up a bit of money and am ready to spend about $500. What's the best thing I can get for that money? If that is too little, what's the next step up?

Maybe if I could find a camera that captures in 4k but downsamples/outputs in 1080p?

I'm currently using a Canon T5i with a 50mm f1.8 prime lens and a stand. My channel below if anyone wants to see the current level of quality I'm outputting with my current setup. Thank you.

www.youtube.com/c/zijincheng

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm in Canada, where Panasonic G7s, LX1000s costs upwards of $1000CAD and there are no used units available.

Solution
I take it you have not purchased a camera yet other than the T5i you are currently using. Is that correct? From what I understand downconverted 4K is still better than native HD video. However, I agree that 4K is not needed for what you want. What specifically about the T5i do you not like? Are you looking for an interchangeable lens camera or are you considering a camcorder?
I take it you have not purchased a camera yet other than the T5i you are currently using. Is that correct? From what I understand downconverted 4K is still better than native HD video. However, I agree that 4K is not needed for what you want. What specifically about the T5i do you not like? Are you looking for an interchangeable lens camera or are you considering a camcorder?

Solution

zijin_cheng

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Yes, I just found out about Chroma Subsampling.

I'm not satisfied with the crispiness of the T5i+50mm and I want to capture crispier video.
Not looking for 4K, but if 4K is what gets me there, I'm all for it. My ideal situation would probably be to get a 4K camera, edit in 4K but actually export in 1080p

It looks as though $500 prices you out of 4K cameras and camcorders. That is about the amount you could spend for an entry level DSLR. If you are considering a camcorder you should be to find a decent one for $500 or just under that amount. Of course you could consider spending that money on a better lens assuming you have the inexpensive 50mm Canon lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.