I need help deciding between headsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Llama IV

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
(TL;DR at the bottom.) I just recently bought a RIG 505 headset to use on my PC and phone, mostly to listen to music or play some games. After using them for a while, I wasn't very impressed with the bass, since I'm the kind of guy that loves brain-rattling bass. I keep looking at the Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma, because I've heard that it has a ton of bass. The only problem is they are USB connected, so I couldn't use them with my phone.

TL;DR - If anyone has a suggestion on whether I should
1. Keep my headset
2. Take my headset back and buy the Krakens
3. Pop a suggestion that is around the same price that would deliver what I'm looking for and isn't USB connected.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

They include a 3.5mm adapter, and if you want a straight 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable they sell those in multiple sizes too.

As for mic, Audio Technica sells a lapel mic for ~$7 that you can use until you figure out whether you need something better or not. With some mcgyvering you can easily turn it into a...

Sir Llama IV

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

Thank you very much for the reply! I have a few questions: Will the Sennhieser 558 be able to connect to my phone? I saw that the connection was a 6.35mm, so I wasn't sure where I'd be able to use them. Also, would you say that this headset more worth it overall, considering the price I'd have to pay if I wanted a mic? I would already have to spend ~$40 more for this headset, so I would be going way over what I wanted to spend.

They include a 3.5mm adapter, and if you want a straight 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable they sell those in multiple sizes too.

As for mic, Audio Technica sells a lapel mic for ~$7 that you can use until you figure out whether you need something better or not. With some mcgyvering you can easily turn it into a boom type for another $5 or less.

Price wise, the HD558 are ~$100 on amazon right now while the razer is $80 (only $20, not $40), but you can get the nearly similar HD518 for $80 on amazon and cut down the difference to $6 total (including the Audio-Technica ATR4650)

Solution

Sir Llama IV

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

Oh ok, that's good to know. Well I got the $40 by going from the headset I have currently, to the Kraken 7.1, if you were wondering. So I'm guessing that you'd strongly suggest that I get the HD 558 over the other mentioned headsets, but I have one last (probably obvious) question: does the HD 558 have good bass in comparison to the Kraken?

Pretty much every review will tell you it has better sounding bass. Not louder bass mind you, but better sounding

Sir Llama IV

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

I see. I'm guessing that it will be a huge difference either way, so I'll just have to give 'em a try. Thank you very much for the advice!

If you have an audio store nearby I suggest you go and test out various models. That's usually the best way

Sir Llama IV

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016

I will be sure to keep an eye out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.