I need help in deciding which notebook to get!?!?!? please help!!!

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hey, i was hoping if someone would be able to give me some insight on which notebook i should choose.....ive been researching notebooks for the past month and i keep changing my mind as to which notebook would be best for me. I am looking at spending between $2,000-$2,700 on a notebook. I do game and surf the net quite a bit....but im also a student. Also don't know if i should get a 15.6 inch or bigger.

These are the products ive been looking at:
1.) Asus G51vx-A1
2.) Asus g71vx
3.) Sager NP9850
4.) Battalion 101 M865TU
5.) dell xps 16 studio

The specs i think im gonna get are: (help would be appreciated on the specs)

Intel® Montevina Core 2 Duo Mobile P9700 Dual-Core Processor (2x 2.8GHz/6MB Cache/1066FSB) or is the quad 2.0ghz better!?

Either the gtx 260m or 280m

at least 320gb-500gb HDD 7200rpm

windows vista 64bit with windows 7 upgrade

i dunno if i should pay extra for a blue ray drive?

Thats a about it....i am looking at getting a notebook within the next month or so so i want to be absolutely positive that im getting a great future proof notebook....i would appreciate any feedback on this and if there are any better notebooks coming out than the one's i've been looking at as well as if the specs i listed are good.

Waiting in anticipation......Thanks!!!

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
1_What is your budget?
$2,000-$2,700

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
between 15" and 18"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
dont have any specifics for resolution

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
2+ hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
yes, cod4, lfd, crysis all on medium to high....preferably high if im gonna spend a lot of money.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Surfing the web, playing music, watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
about 500gb or more

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
xoticpc.com; ibuypower.com; newegg.com

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
not too bulky, good looking.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Asus and sager seem to be really good notebooks judging by the reviews.....alienware is waaaay toooo overpriced.

13_What country do you live in?
U.S.A

The Sager NP9850 is going to be the best performer of the group, hands down with it's dual GTX280's. It is also going to be the biggest and heaviest of the group.

The Battalion 101 from IBuyPower is built off a Sager laptop (NP8662) which you can get from Xotic who I would trust more (I don't much care for Ibuypower). So the NP8662, the G51 and the G71 all have similar specs (CPU, GPU, etc), the G71 just has a 17'' screen.

Compare to the performance of the others you listed, the Dell XPS isn't even worth considering. When configured it costs as much as the G51 or the 8662 and doesn't really compare in GPU performance.

como_13

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks a lot for the replies.......i was also wondering what is the best 13 inch laptop i can buy!?!? that has good specs for being a 13inch cos i wanna maybe get a 13 inch and then buy a gaming laptop after windows 7 comes out.