I now get constant fps drops

Jul 2, 2018
So about 2-3 months ago, I was playing games fine(e.g. Star trek online, borderlands 2, etc.). Then suddenly I had a fan error and I had to take apart my laptop and replace the fan. I put everything back together and booted the system and it ran perfectly. I play a game, solid performance and low settings. Moments later and my fps drops to specifically 19-22 fps. Then it goes back up and cycle repeats. It's been bothering me ever since and dealt with it, now I'm at my breaking point. I tried to diagnose everything I could such as resetting my laptop, reinstalling drivers, almost everything. Please help me,

My specs: Lenovo e420
Intel core i5 2410m
Intel HD Graphics 3000
8gb ram

I am going to check my temps tmw to see and adjust if they're too high or not. But I cannot guarantee I'm safe or not but please tell me I can still play on this device.

Solution
Ok thanks. Realtemp is showing it reached 55c on core 1 and 57c on core 2.

Cpu speed is currently at 1097.51MHz. Did speed increase at all when running ibt?

In hwinfo, there is no mention of cpu fan speed anywhere? I cant see it there, its not further up?

Ignore smart or drive category. They are to do with your hdd, you want stats to do with cpu under acpi.

Speedfan isnt detecting fan. Either speedfan is buggy or it cant receive fan information because it might not be connected. Double check cpu fan is connected and spinning.

http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=5

boju

Distinguished
Check your temps and cpu speeds when fps dipps. Cpu will throttle if too hot and while throttling the cpu speed drops to allow it to cool down. Once cool enough cpu speeds increase and a cycle which sounds like you're enduring.

Check temps with realtemp and speeds with cpuz

Which fan was it that you changed? Chassis fan? Is it blowing out of case not sucking in? That would keep heat in if fan was facing the wrong way.

Jul 2, 2018
Well my CPU speeds sit between the mid 700s in idpe but when gaming about 1000s to spiking sometimes 2195mhz. Idk if those speeds are relevant but just to show. I think I narrowed down that my CPU is WAY TOO HOT. Is there a way to go around this?

boju

Distinguished
Well, to get inside the laptop and check things and possibly reseat heatsink with new paste i imagine.

Check exhaust fans are blowing out. Should feel the air on your hand. As discussed earlier, the changes made was replace fan right? And since have heat issues correct? Heat would still escape the laptop but at a slower pace if the fan was mounted wrong way. So im saying need to investigate your laptop's cooling, heatsink & fan and chassis fans.

boju

Distinguished
xopen-grille.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.YEPgZw8Mwr.jpg

Grill side fan, the blades are curved up

boju

Distinguished
Were you having temp issues previously before fan error occurred? Your title suggests something has changed since opening the laptop.

If its not the chassis fan, check your cpu fan is spinning. Boot to bios and check for fan adjustments and rpm speed readouts.

Jul 2, 2018
Nope, before my fan issue, it was running like a champ for a 5 yr old laptop, play games stable at 60 and staying there. I honestly don't know what happened after the fan error, I just replaced the fan and it just had that issue.

boju

Distinguished
I'm trying to look at your manual but cant find bios screen shots. The readouts will be in performance and health or similar. There, depending on settings available might be able to change fan speed profiles. If not, there should be fan speed readouts at least, these reports are a standard feature on all motherboards.

Can use software too,

Download: https://www.hwinfo.com/

Disclaimer: https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/use-powerful-system-tool-check-windows-hardware.htm

When first run hwinfo it'll ask if you want sensors and summary checked, leave them unchecked. Once ui opens click the red sensor icon. Another window will popup. Here you can see all kinds of sensors.

Navigate down the window a bit and under 2nd cpu column (There are a few cpu columns) are cpu temps/throttle warnings.

Bit further down is column for the motherboard, under memory column. Here has sensors for both chassis and cpu fan speeds.