I think I may have killed my laptop's GPU

holmesandrewv

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hey,

Yesterday, I unfortunately spilled some cold water on my laptop, near the front grille. There was barely any water left in the cup so I wasn't worried, but I unplugged my laptop just in case and as I did that the display died instantly while my laptop remained on.

I restarted into BIOS to check everything, and lo and behold, my GPU wasn't being detected anymore and the display was running on integrated graphics.

I'm guessing some of the water slipped through the cracks and must've gotten onto the graphics card. Again, nothing happened until I unplugged the thing, so I removed the battery when everything was dry but still had no success. I tried to reinstall drivers just in case but NVIDIA couldn't detect the hardware.

What should I do? I don't really know much about hardware, and to have a look at the actual motherboard I need to remove a bunch of stuff first. Am I best taking it to a repair store to get it looked at?

The laptop in question is an MSI Ghost GS60, and the graphics card is an NVIDIA 870m. The laptop is nearly 4 years old, so my warranty has expired.

many thanks :)

Solution
If you want to keep using it, and use that GPU, you need to have it looked at. Or you can use the integrated graphics and not spend the money. Is up to you.